RIP Tina

Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 pm

Good bye Tina Turner. Powerful force of nature.

Re: RIP Tina

Wed May 24, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes, she could do it all. In addition to all her legendary recordings and performances, I only discovered recently that she and the Ikettes provide the backing vocals on Frank Zappa's album, Overnite Sensation (e.g., "Dirty Love," "Dinah Moe Humm")

Thu May 25, 2023 5:42 am

Saw this yesterday.

I was in grade 12 year back in May of '85 when myself and a group of friends won first place in an air-band contest.

Tina Turner had released the album, "Private Dancer" back in September of '84, and by that time several of the songs on the album that had become very popular on the radio ("What's love got to do with it?", "Better be good to me", "Private Dancer", etc.).

I didn't really want to do a Tina Turner number, but my friends had an idea that was fun and finally convinced me to play along.

Here's the yearbook photo of us taken just after we won. That's me on the left. The tall fellow to the right (Izzy) dressed up as Tina Turner, and the large fellow far right (Barry) were the two main "actors" in our air band. The rest of us where "the band".

We did the song, "Better be good to me" - as a parody of the video (remember MTV?). Izzy started the show dressed as Tina Turner with a spot-on wig, makeup, and tight dress. The music started, and the curtain came up to reveal Izzy standing behind a blind which bright back lighting to cast his shadow on the screen. The screen was slowly rolled up revealing his high heels, then his hairy legs - each hair seemed neon in the back lighting. The crowd loved it when the blind came down and Izzy did an amazing parody of Tina Turner. The big guy, Barry played the role of the person who betta be good to Tina - as they circled each other like they were in a wrestling match, each too afraid of the other to do more than circle one another. Eventually Izzy pushed Barry over, and Barry hammed the heck out of falling over and rolling down the stage.

It'll never be as hilarious in the telling - but trust me, it was very entertaining - we got a standing ovation and won the show.

I personally thought the guys who did Limelight by Rush were much better technically as we were allowed to use instruments in the show and they really looked like they were playing).

Anyway. As soon as I heard about Tina Turner - this was the memory that came back to me.

I was still pretty immature in my musical tastes at the time, not having the depth, as it were, to really appreciate Tina Turner's Rhythm & Blues roots. For this reason I never really paid much attention to her music or career after that.

Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am

Sad day indeed. From Proud Mary to Private Dancer gotta say she always got my attention, and talk about an entertainer.

She’s one of the few when you hear the first name she’s the one you think of.

RIP Tina