Steve Gadd Band with Michael Landau

Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Had the great pleasure of seeing Steve Gadd band and Michael Landau on guitar last night at the Catalina Club on Sunset Blvd. :happy0065: :alright:

First I gotta say these guys were phenomenal. I caught the 8:30 early show so I bet the late show was even longer. I've been in LA for work and the choice for last night was Steve Gadd band, Phish Hollywood Bowl or the Lakers vs Memphis. Lakers were across the street but prices were more than I cared for, Phish was a close call but to see Steve Gadd and Michael Landau for the first time had to be done. 8-) Steve's drumming was as solid as can be. I was sitting with three drummers who all were in awe. {some spooky small world things came up where I lived close to one once and had some work coincidence with another) Landau's playing was as smooth as soulful as ever. :smoking030: Just listening to his bends and phrasing only made me want to go practice MORE! Was able to get pics of his set up after the show and on top of it all got to talk for a minute and ask about guitar pups. He was playing a strat with what looked like two mini-humbuckers. He said they were TV Jones Filtertron Super'trons. See his setup below. Saw the Fender "Vibro Prince" head and wondered what the heck!? According to internet search, "The Vibro Prince is a near perfect replica of a 1967 Princeton Reverb modeled after an original 67 PR", by Magic Amplification.

Have a few video clips I'm figuring out how to load. If you get the chance to catch these guys GO!!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Re: Steve Gadd Band with Michael Landau

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:28 pm

Thanks for the great post and photos, Sam! I think you made the best choice, by far! Steve Gadd is great and Landau is legendary. I've never caught either live, but I would in a heartbeat—and to see both ...!!!

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:41 pm

Thanks tomanche,

So true, I could go on for a while about the show and all the players. Wish I had tickets for both shows. Will keep my eyes open near time in town. For a couple of guys who’ve been around for “some time” their chops are amazing! Will figure out the video postings.

As I said, see them while you can. :searching:

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:48 pm

Here are some clips from their show the other night, April 20

Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:33 am

Hey Sam, you Lucky!
Steve will always be remembered for his amazing performance on Aja.

I've been listening to some of Michael Landau's stuff over the last 2 years. His technique on a strat is very unique. One of the few guys who has really blazed trails on that instrument and raised the bar. His "Liquid Quartet Live" at the Baked Potato near LA from 2020 is a great listen. Also his 1st studio offering "Tales from the Bulge" from 1990. He played in a group with Robben Ford called Renegade Creation around 2010-2012, their 2 studio records and youtube vid's are worth checking out as well. I also think he's got some great blues chops, even in a trio format. I like his version of "Worried Life Blues."

Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:44 am

Sounds really good. To be honest I'm not very familiar with Landau; I'll have to check out some more of his work.
Always been curious about Filtertrons. I've thought of getting a Lollar version for my Asat Deluxe prototype; I just can't quite bond with the JB Bucker in the bridge position although the '59 in the neck sounds very nice.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 am

John - Lucky indeed!! Aja is one of my all time favorite albums. I could hear some Steely Dan(ish) tones during the show. Will check out the shows you mentioned.

Eric - check out both on wickipedia, their discographies and YouTube you’ll find some cool stuff as well as being surprised at the tracks they play on. Like you I’m not too familiar with Filtertrons but I did change pups on my ASAT Deluxe. Heavier distortion with Duncan Evolution bridge and Air Norton neck and love it. Seemed to dig this over the JB and 59.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:46 am

I think you made the right call Sam.

I haven't heard of either of these guys, but from the clips and my own "Google follow-up" browsing. I am pretty impressed Drums are solid, and I really like Landau's tone and approach.

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to hear something new (to me).

Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:30 am

You bet Dan, to add to this I found a cool link with three Michael Landau licks. The lesson part is at about 3 minutes in. Before that he talks about all the work Landau has done. Enjoy!

Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:43 am

sam wrote:John - Lucky indeed!! Aja is one of my all time favorite albums. I could hear some Steely Dan(ish) tones during the show. Will check out the shows you mentioned.

Eric - check out both on wickipedia, their discographies and YouTube you’ll find some cool stuff as well as being surprised at the tracks they play on. Like you I’m not too familiar with Filtertrons but I did change pups on my ASAT Deluxe. Heavier distortion with Duncan Evolution bridge and Air Norton neck and love it. Seemed to dig this over the JB and 59.

I actually like the '59 in the neck. I was thinking about keeping that and putting a Filtertron in the bridge but I'm not sure they would work together. I think perhaps the output is too different. So many pickup choices- it boggles the mind. I'll check out some Evolution clips. I am currently liking the JB a bit more since switching to Alloy 52 strings on the Deluxe....it's still a bit nasally to my ears but better.