UM /G&L @ red rocks

Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:14 am

Howdy folks, I was lucky to catch a couple shows at Red Rocks in Colorado by Umphrey's Mcgee last weekend.
Jake C was sporting a red custom shop Legacy he had made for him back in 2018, for both nights. He seems to alternate between using the legacy, or a comanche in recent years. He talks about these guitars, and a bit about his history with G&L guitars in the early part of this video from music store live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9dfhAgBD_E (right click on the link and open in a new window to view the video)

I posted a few pics below. Quite an impressive place, my 1st time there, really cool vibe with the 250 million year old "red" rock formations flanking the amphitheater and behind the stage. The sound was pretty awesome, lucked out with great weather, and of course UM continues to raise the bar with their brand of progressive rock. I have been a disciple (umphreak) since about 2007, and Jake's use of the s-500 special was one of the reasons I became interested in the brand.

Re: UM /G&L @ red rocks

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:25 pm

Hey John, lucky indeed! :alright:

Always wanted to see UM and see a show at red rocks. Was told UM shows are louder than typical show, any truth or just one person’s experience at one show? I’m sure these shows were stellar.

Now I’m going to check out their tour schedule :searching:

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:54 am

I have only used ear protection a couple of times at UM shows, but I think it’s smart to bring it. I think it depends more on the venue and where you are in the audience. Once I was in 1st row ata festival, right in front of a speaker, another time in Baltimore I was a straight shot from a line array at 20-30 yards. Otherwise I don’t think they are louder than anyone else I’ve seen. My personal “loudest concert” was frank marino/mahogany rush back in late 70’s. OMG. Another was MMRBQ festival in Camden NJ last year.

UM is back in Atlanta area over New Years this year, just sayin…!

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:56 pm

Frank Marino/Mahogany Rush, wow I saw them open for Aerosmith in late 70’s as well. Don’t recall volume just I was super impressed with Frank’s playing.

ACDC opening for Kiss was one of the loudest shows, but man Bon Scott and the boys were perfect.

Will try to catch UM this year

Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:12 am

I've been to Red Rocks but it was during the day, so I don't know if that counts ;) . Its on my bucket list of venues to see a show. Umphrey's would be a great one to see there!
My daughter was just at Red Rocks a couple weeks ago to see Glass Animals. That show had been postponed a couple of times due to the COVID concerns.
I saw UM during their New Years Eve run a few years ago. Highly recommended! I don't remember them being overly loud. But then again I've been wearing plugs for a few years now.

-Jeff