Has anyone tried a "Jake Blade" trem arm replacement?

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 am

I recently became aware of the "Jake Blade" tremolo arm replacement... It's kind of a like a flat metal leaf shape. It is used to good effect by Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's McGee, who plays a Comanche. I think he invented it too. (Yeah this isn't a Comanche, just the first pic I found of a Jake Blade on a guitar.)

https://www.roughgaugellc.com/shop-2/ja ... al-fulcrum

It's hard to find well informed discussions online about this gadget. Everyone has an opinion if they look at it, some people "know a guy" who has one, no one seems to have actually used it personally. Hopefully, someone here can share their experience with it.

I find it appealing because I find a normal trem arm to be kind of in the way sometimes. And, as a new player, I don't really need the trem arm ready to go all the time. But, I am interested in learning to play surf music and so I wonder if the reduced lever action of the Jake Blade might make those deep bends impractical.

Re: Has anyone tried a "Jake Blade" trem arm replacement?

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:54 pm

Hey Horseflesh,

I’ve been interested in that as well for some time, even did a lunch report in 2013 with that as part. Still haven’t purchased one yet but if you put Jake Blade in the search bar you will find a fair amount of feedback. Seems to be an easy and smooth playing option.

Since I have a couple of trem equipped G&L’s now may just have to get one. :evilgrin: