http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100727/ap_en_mu/us_music_frank_zappa

Re: Zappa Fans: Article / Event of Interest in Baltimore: Update

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:22 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39261530/ns/today-entertainment/

Thought some of you might find this interesting. I certainly do. - ed

Re: Zappa Fans: Article / Event of Interest in Baltimore

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Pretty Neat, I am rather in between about Zappa however,

One hand he was an excellent player, and stellar composer. Some of his solos have very neat progressions to em, was uninhibited in a lot of ways.
The other is the lyrics in his music, I know he toted himself as a satirist, but they were so distractingly meaningless most of the time they made it impossible for me to listen to more than a little. I find they took away from the level of music otherwise present.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:51 pm

His musical sense - like his guitar playing - were mostly beyond my understanding (or even appreciation). I just liked his unique style of unfettered and unabashed social and interpersonal satire. He made me laugh and still does. But I'm guessing the albums that really move me are not the ones most admired by his knowledgeable and musically intelligent fans. I actually don't listen to him that much, but I miss him nonetheless. And besides, he's a local-born talent and I believe him to be too generally unknown. - ed

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 am

Funny how that works out eh? If you put us together you might have a full fledged die hard :happy0007:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks Ed,
I'll send theses links to my drummer, he's a diehard Zappahead.

Here's one of my favorite clips back when SNL had some really good musical guests:

[youtube]w1k8GKXlDEo[/youtube]

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 am

his goofiness doesn't always do it for me but I recently picked up his 1982 album 'Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch' and was once again blown away but his musicianship and arrangements. steve vai is listed as performing the "impossible guitar parts". it gets a bit heavy and bad ass at times. good stuff and a great 6 dollar vinyl score.