NAD Dr. Z MAZ18

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:13 pm

I hadn't bought anything in awhile and my wife asked what guitar I wanted for my birthday; not much is really inspiring me lately but this was on the local CL. Great sounding amp. Loud for 18watts but usable in my small practice room. Supposedly a good pedal amp I'm still figuring out settings and have mostly been going straight in so far. It really shines with my "spankier" guitars like my Strat and my original Asat. The pedal somehow bypasses the tone controls- acts like an OD in a way with control for level. My first amp with effects loop- haven't even looked into that yet...I'm told a volume pedal is good in a loop.
He had a great looking, matching cab too but I don't have the space right now.
My first exposure to Dr. Z.

Re: NAD Dr. Z MAZ18

Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:26 pm

Hey mutts,

Congratulations! :happy0065:

Like you I’ve only heard about Dr Z and not played one but ALL very good reviews. Saw a Max 18 today somewhere.

Looking forward to your review. :searching:

Re: NAD Dr. Z MAZ18

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks Sam. They describe it as being in the Fender/Vox tonal range which seems about right. A little more gain than one would expect from a vintage Fender. Seems to be a solidly made, simple, old school amp. So far I'm very happy.
This is one of the better utube vids. From about 3:00-6:30 minutes they cover the 18 watt version.

phpBB [video]