I need some wiring help

Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:36 pm

I have a C66, from 09 (May) with an always on switch in the bridge, and I was fiddling with it today and realized something. It is not wired as I requested. My always on does not work. What it does is in position 4 and 5 (neck split, and neck full bucker) with the switch on it only gives bridge split and bridge bucker.. With the switch off I get standard 5 way switch. I don't really understand how this is happening, but testing all 4 coils with a tap gives that for results. What it should be doing is giving Bridge + 4 and 5, not overriding neck with bridge (it is kind of useless like that).

Yes I realize it took more than a year for me to realize, but I primarily use the bridge, and now that I know it is wrong I need to fix it. I am decidedly bad with circuits, but can solder well.

Image (click to see it larger, the bridge pickup enters closest to the switch but I am sure we all know that. the DPDT switch I mean.

What I think need to be done is the purple wire needs to be bumped over to where the neck 2 wires are (one closer to the edge) That purple wire is also soldered very poorly, it is barely holding on. Looking at this closer I have no idea what is happening there, as the purple wire comes off the place the volume pot was on, but I don't know the internal 5 way switch mechanisms. It is also on the bridge pickup side of things, I mucked that first look. No clue what that is supposed to be, it has a cross over and black neck on one side, cross over and red bridge on the other side. Purple comes out the center of the first side and catches the bridge side of the 5 way, where the tone pot links in. I don't know which wires are which, the have 4 wires, red black green white. I seem to recall these DO NOT match SD/dimarzio though. Red is hot apparently, from what I gather, no clue what green is, white is used for splitting modes.

Bonus points if you can not only get the add bridge to work but tell me how to bypass volume pot to do it (if able with this I do not want to change anything layout wise) (aka blower switch)

Any help is appreciated. I would like to get this doing what I intended. Currently it just turns the 5 way switch to a mirror off the middle.

Re: I need some wiring help

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Update here,

I got it running in normal 5 way, regardless of switch position, issue was they had it working, however when engaged the neck pickup lost ground , and cut, while the bridge pickup functioned in place 4 and 5 (as I wanted it to...)

Currently I need to run a wire from the switch, to wherever it needs to go to achieve the always on effect. Anyone know where that is? I have heard output jack will do it.

I also cleaned that switch up, they were fancy for nothing, connected the blacks on the far mid pole (this means no more losing ground, lazy I know, but it got the job done quick and dirty). I jumped the red (bridge hot) to the purple (bridge hot on the 5 way), and got rid of all the 1-3 near to far jumps they had there, messy and harder to follow, for no good reason.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Can't delete it but got it done, seems the only error they made initially, was they ran neck ground to the switch, when it should have been bridge ground. I cleaned up the messy looking switch (with likely some poor soldering, not cold but I couldn't find my sucker). Now one side is the hot bridge and purple wire center lug (redundant, but I used it due to trimmed lengths that were there, the bridge hot could go straight to 5 way. The other side is bridge ground center, bridge ground to 5 way in one mode, common ground in the other.

I get 8 pickup combinations now, not the 7 anticipated, 3 4 and 5 changed. 3 is now bridge bucker + neck split, 5 is both buckers. The surprise is position 4, some odd interaction with the 5 way switch has it running outer bridge coil and inner neck coil. Can't complain, I got both the extra I wanted, and 1 more to boot.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am

Sounds very complicated, but I'm glad you got it working. Do you find that with certain pickup combinations the volume changes drastically?

Kit

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 am

Kit wrote:Sounds very complicated, but I'm glad you got it working. Do you find that with certain pickup combinations the volume changes drastically?

Kit

No , the C22s I have in the carvin lose a small bit of volume split but not much. Often it is the difference between clean and break up in the low gain channels, and I take advantage of it. There are not large changes though, so it is EXTREMELY useful.