Cool Guitar Alert!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:16 pm

One of the Best Buy stores near me has a MI dept., and when they advertised a great deal on D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings I had to go check it out. I did not expect to find so many cool pieces, but I may have found the steal of the century.

I've had a love/hate relationship with telecasters for many years, but I finally settled on the the Strat as the guitar for me, and now have mostly Legacy-body G&Ls in my collection. Still, back in the early 1970s, I owned a '69 Tele Thinline with an ash body and a Bigsby. Loved that guitar, but hated the Bigsby. It was stolen, but I got it back; unfortunately the guy had messed it up, and I traded it off on a Gibson ES-150DCN which was a dog. Big mistake.

While I had that Thinline, I used to jam with a guy that had a mid-60's Telecaster Custom. This was the model that had the double-bound body, RW neck, Tele single coils and a sunburst finish--the upscale Tele model. He liked my Thinline, and I liked his Custom, but neither of us wanted to trade, both of us happy with what we had.

Lo and behold, I run across a beautiful double bound, SB Tele--and it's a SQUIER!!! Part of their new "Vibe" Series, this one had a 9.5" radius maple neck, with large frets that felt great in my had. It had that spank and twang of a vintage Tele and played great--for less than $400 street! I was amazed. I'm not sure what I would actually take the time and money to upgrade on this guitar--it was that good. A totally different vibe than the Tribute ASATs, and the ASAT Classic SH that I briefly owned.

But man, did that guitar bring back the memories. I may just have to buy my first Fender brand guitar (I have a Precision Lyte bass) I've had since 1990. And it's not even a Fender--but a SQUIER!!

Definitely a cool guitar, and worth checking out, IMO.

Bill

Re: Cool Guitar Alert!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Lo and behold, I run across a beautiful double bound, SB Tele--and it's a SQUIER!!! Part of their new "Vibe" Series, this one had a 9.5" radius maple neck, with large frets that felt great in my had. It had that spank and twang of a vintage Tele and played great--for less than $400 street! I was amazed. I'm not sure what I would actually take the time and money to upgrade on this guitar--it was that good. A totally different vibe than the Tribute ASATs, and the ASAT Classic SH that I briefly owned.

But man, did that guitar bring back the memories. I may just have to buy my first Fender brand guitar (I have a Precision Lyte bass) I've had since 1990. And it's not even a Fender--but a SQUIER!!

Definitely a cool guitar, and worth checking out, IMO.

Bill

I played a Classic Vibe Squier Strat several months ago --- damn fine guitar, period. I liked it at least as much as the American Standard that I played the same day.