Twin Reverb passing AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) GAS

Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:47 am

Howdy amp aficionados!

The GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is still hounding me. Have had a ongoing “want” for a Twin Reverb, and yesterday I thought the Craigslist stars aligned. Early 70’s with two EVM SRO’s, anticipation was high. Unfortunately had some issues I couldn’t get over, or were not willing to go down the fix it rabbit hole $. Could have been a sign that I really don’t “need” a Twin. :evilgrin: Have a Deluxe Reverb (EVM SRO) and Blues Deluxe (EVM 12L) so can get close to a Twin. Not playing out and mostly Dead, Americana and Country stuff these days.

For any Twin Reverb owner, is it the only amp that will get where you want to be, and what is your standby amp?

Also, how many times have you chased the Craigslist ad that sounded so good but just didn’t pan out? Really only twice for me. The Twin this weekend and a Mesa Boogie Maverick. There was just something about the Maverick that day that didn’t fit, who knows what I would think today. Had quite a few pleasant positive Craigslist experiences though. :thumbup:

Re: Twin Reverb passing AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) GAS

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm in the "don't have a Twin, I probably NEED one" boat too.
Occasionally one comes through the amp shop and I'm reminded how good they can be.

I'll be watching for answers from Twin owners...good question.

I scored a Yamaha FB-01 synth unit on CL for 10 bucks recently. Happy with that.

Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Hey Elwood,

Great score! Gotta love when those things come along.

Will be interesting to hear what Twin owners say. :searching:

Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:29 am

sorry to hear the Twin didn't work out.
I had a 70's silver face twin for my main amp from '83-'90.
It was a rock solid work horse for me, had that nice clean tone and some oomph.
I never had to change a tube on it. it just worked.
I turned it up to 10 for gigs and ran a Tom Scholz Rockman unit through both channels, sounded glorious with my LP.
They are heavy though (but compared to my old ampeg V4 w/ 4x12 it was small and light!)
and if you are happy with your deluxe reverb, you may have the Fender amp vibe covered.
The blues guys I know around here just love their deluxe reverbs.
i saw a guy playing a tele this weekend in a small venue through a relatively new princeton reverb, sounded fab.
i was jonesing for that, but the little buggers are expensive!

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:38 am

John,

Yours is another great Twin experience that keeps me hanging on. Your thoughts on the Deluxe Reverb may be helping keep the funds for an ASAT HB (when one comes available :evilgrin:)

The new Princeton Reverb 1x12 is getting great reviews so I can see how it’s on your wish list. The tweed makes it even more desirable for me. Maybe one will show up “cheap”. :roll:

Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm

You might like the Mesa Lonestar Classic.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:49 pm

Have heard good comparisons between Twin and LSC. Have a Lonestar Special and that is a winner as well. Just don’t see many Lonestar Classics on the used market, could be based on people liking them.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 pm

When I purchased my early Deluxe Reverb, I came close to buying a similar vintage Twin. Just too loud. For me, unless going to play out, it has more power than I need or could use. To get the tone I wanted I would not be able to use it in my home. I bought and use the Deluxe Reverb, but find nowadays I mostly use my 1 Watt Blackstar HT-1R. I suggest considering whether you can really use the amp more than how much you want it.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:33 am

sam wrote:Have heard good comparisons between Twin and LSC. Have a Lonestar Special and that is a winner as well. Just don’t see many Lonestar Classics on the used market, could be based on people liking them.

As far as I know, the Lonestar line has been discontinued, so you would probably need to find a used one.
Your experience with Mesa probably already informs you that they are heavy.
My original Lonestar 1x12 is rated at 72 lbs which is heaver than a Twin Reverb (without JBLs or similar).

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:28 pm

The Blackstar HT 1-R looks like a cool little guy. Watched a YouTube video and it showed off quite well. My son ran off with my Vox 3W so this could take its place. But the lure of the big ol’ 2x12 6L6 is so strong. The video I saw was pretty convincing though. :evilgrin:

True, the Lonestar’s are only in used market now. As far as weight, I just carry or throw on a dolly if needed. Dolly of some kind saves the back for sure. Twins come at lower price these days however.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Depending on your music needs, there is a reason why the "Twin" has a serious reputation. Jazz players love the clarity (cleans), rock players the volume on stage, and country players the total versatility. But it is 85 pounds. Those days for me are over.

Set out to buy one in 1971. Walked out with a Sound City Concord with a pair of Fanes. Ear splitting loud and clean into the next galaxy.

Have owned Sound City, Vox, and Fender amps - and simply prefer Fender cleans. Current stable is a Blues Jr NOS Tweed, '57 Custom Pro Tweed, a solid state Jazz Master Ultralight, and a Blonde Deluxe Reverb Tone Master. Nearly pulled the plug on a '64 hand wired Deluxe Reverb for the studio, but really am happy with the Tone Master. My gigging days have gone from 3-5 days a week (pre-covid) to only a couple outdoor in 2020 to about 3-5 per month in 2021.

The Tone Master line has tons of videos on line with A/B's of both DR's and Twins. I do enjoy the warmth from the '57 Custom Pro and that big 15" speaker and paired with an Ebo Customs E-Verb head, I can get all the salty surf drip one could ever need. But at 55 pounds, it is just too big to gig with - now. The DR Tone Master weighs 23 pounds. Has an attenuator to dial in the venue size and delivers near tube warmth.

Certainly worth a look if a Twin is required - the Tone Master might be your ticket.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Hey Daniel, :wave:

Thanks for the perspective and thoughts on the Tonemaster Twin, and welcome to the G&L cult…I mean clan! ;)

My primary desire for the Twin is clean country and Dead jam sounds. With a EVM SRO speaker loaded Deluxe Reverb reissue, minor tube swap and a compressor this is getting by for Fender clean. Since I’m only playing at home now, or with neighbors, not too worried about weight for transport, but moving a 33 lb Tonemaster would be easier than an 85 lb Twin. I’m amp heavy now so funds will probably go to guitar(s) but with all the great reviews I’ve seen, and yours, for the right price it could fit the bill. There’s some great reviews on the Tonemaster Twin Blonde from the Stolen Faces guitarist. He said the newer Blonde has improvements over the original.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:39 am

Sam - There is truly nothing like a true Twin. George Benson plays one for a reason. Although modified.

But - there are very few actual circumstances that "require" that today. FWIW - I have a review on YouTube on my DRTM unboxing and another with a P90 vs Humbucker comparison on the DRTM. Having the guitar stable full for a while now and adding another...my guitar purchases are behind me. But I am personally happy with my newest DRTM. If weight was never an issue, I would likely always gig my '57 Custom Pro with the Ebo E-Verb...but the 23 pounds is simply too easy to cart and set up. All the best in your quest...