Dusty Hill of ZZ top died

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

ZZ Top is one of the outfits that stood the time ... like 50 years. So here's to you Dusty: Go get some well deserved rest after all this time.

Re: Dusty Hill of ZZ top died

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Sad day indeed. Post said died in his sleep at home.

Saw a couple of times, last time was two years ago, still putting on a great show. True showman. RIP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/zz ... uxbndlbing

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm

i never get sick of listening to "the same three guys playing the same 3 chords", as BFG says.
tonight at a band rehearsal we were playing 'cheap sunglasses'. that was billy's song, but
i especially liked 'sharp dressed man' and 'tush', both of which Dusty sang on.
RIP, brother, you have rocked!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:11 am

john o wrote:i never get sick of listening to "the same three guys playing the same 3 chords", as BFG says.
tonight at a band rehearsal we were playing 'cheap sunglasses'. that was billy's song, but
i especially liked 'sharp dressed man' and 'tush', both of which Dusty sang on.
RIP, brother, you have rocked!

My band (now defunct due to Covid) also played Cheap Sunglasses, the break in the song is very jazz sounding.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 am

IMO-

"Rio Grande Mud" is/was one of the BEST ballz-out R'nR / Blues-Rock set of tracks ever recorded...

And remember, this was before all the vids with the long beards, spinning geetars and such.

Pure raw stuff!

RIP, Dusty; great job.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 pm

LarryNJ wrote:IMO-

"Rio Grande Mud" is/was one of the BEST ballz-out R'nR / Blues-Rock set of tracks ever recorded...

And remember, this was before all the vids with the long beards, spinning geetars and such.

Pure raw stuff!

RIP, Dusty; great job.

You're right, man. I believe their first three albums were the best... Just some kickass rock/blues with a Texas twist and some very refreshing new attempts at the genre.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:45 pm

I saw them in Zurich, Switzerland in a small venue around 1980, when nobody over here really knew them. At the beginning of the show the stage was absolutely dark. Then there was this power chord that could have shook the foundations of this planet. The lights went on and there stood the Reverend with this tiny little Chiquita travel guitar... That's what ZZ Top always were: The only rock band serious enough to make fun of themselves. Ride on, Dusty!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:35 am

Hmmmm- I can't seem to post the link, but

"HEARD IT ON THE X"

One of MANY stomp-butt tracks!! :mrgreen:

That's what I'm talkin' about!