Larry Garrett passed away

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi folks,

Many on this forum may be familiar with Larry Garrett, aka HLG. It is with sadness to let you all know Larry passed away July 2, 2021.

By life, Larry was one of the best known G&L collectors and historians. Many of the pictures of rare G&L models and prototypes found in the Gallery on this site were sourced by him. He contributed to the Blue Book of Guitar Values by overhauling and updating the G&L sections among the guitars and basses a couple of years ago. And until recently, he was the keeper of Dale Hyatt's copy of the pre-BBE sales log. I have had the fortune to correspond, buy instruments, and learn a ton from this man. He will be sorely missed, especially here in the G&L world.

I wish his wife Barb all the strength in these sad days.

- Jos

Re: Larry Garrett passed away

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:38 pm

I don't know who Mr. Garrett was, but appreciate his significant contribution to the knowledge and history of G&L.

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you for telling us, Jos. I learned quickly that posts from "HLG" were packed with knowledge of G&L. He will be missed. My condolences to his loved ones.

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:18 am

Very sad news indeed. His posts, pictures and history were always a source of G&L information and fascinating.

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 pm

I, too, am sadden by this news. While I have never met him, I had many email conversations with him over the years. As was mentioned before, he shared many photos and his insights about his friendship with Dale Hyatt. May you rest in Peace, Larry.

Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:07 am

I have read posts from HLG, Larry, over the years that I have been on the forum and was always educated by them. I have researched guitars in the past and might even have corresponded with him over email. My memory is quite flawed these days and I have not accessed my emails from a few years ago. Either way, I am saddened by his passing and have best wishes and good thoughts going out to his family in these tough times. Rest in peace good man.