Fender free...or G & L wins plus archtop over-run

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 am

Seem's like I am as contrary as the weather....
Not more than a couple months ago I was getting completely out of archtops and going all solid body...
Well, long story short, they pulled em back in. I scored a superb MIJ Ibanez semi-hollow that got me hearing humbucker sounds
again and wanting more....so I sold some stuff and bought a guitar I've always admired but never owned..
a Guild X-170 Manhattan. Killer guitar... well since nothing succeeds like excess I decided to keep my
lifer Legacy and trade off my Eric Johnson strat for...
a Heritage 575 Custom. Gorgous thing that is a nice compliment to my semi and the Guild.
So, still four guitars but the small collection turned upside down in short order with only the G & L surviving the cut.
What is cool to me, is that these for the most part are all under-appreciated brands.
Anyway a couple pics for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Fender free...or G & L wins plus archtop over-run

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Those sure are nice instruments!

I don't have a true archtop. My only semi-hollow is a Heritage H535 and it is a great guitar. I put flatwound strings on it a few years ago making the wound string a bunch harder to bend, but it does sound good. Here's a picture of my playing it last summer at a BBQ:

Kit

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Nice axes, me and single cuts don't get along well though.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Never done the semi hollow or arch top thing but I've always admired Guilds from afar. Is this a "Fender" Guild or pre Fender?

Kit I see two guitar amps. Both yours or is there another guitar player or keyboard player at the gig?

I'll be playing an outside show at the Emerald Classic this Friday night. The Emerald Classic is a big horse jumping competition. I love the feeling of playing outside but it seems that sound is always an issue. Hopefully someone will snap a picture that I can share with the board. I'll be playing my black ASAT.

Tom

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:14 pm

asphalt-abate wrote:Kit I see two guitar amps. Both yours or is there another guitar player or keyboard player at the gig?

The group has a singer/keyboard/guitar player set up to the left of the picture. He actually has 2 keyboard amps set up in stereo. The Swart AST you see in the picture was the amp I was playing the Heritage through.

Kit

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:47 am

Yes, great instruments indeed. I really like Guild guitars, I always make sure to play them if theres one for sale. And that Heritage! WOW!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:04 am

es, great instruments indeed. I really like Guild guitars,

Thanks, It WAS pretty, i decided the Heritage was all i needed in an archtop and sold the Guild.
Bought another G & L instead! ASAT Deluxe.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:48 am

I keep thinking I need a Heritage LP style. Hmmmmm. Nice looking guitars!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:10 am

I keep thinking I need a Heritage LP style. Hmmmmm. Nice looking guitars!

They are nice. Their LP style guitars are great. They also have the Millenium line which are LP shaped but semi-hollow, F-hole or not.