Chick Corea has passed

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 pm

I was stunned to see this tonight. It's weird, just got a new turntable and was listening to some vinyl I hadn't spun for 30 years, brought up Chick's "Again and Again - the Joburg Sessions", some great jazz i used to listen to in the early 80's. Was getting ready to put it on, and saw the headline.

I've seen Chick a 1/2 dozen times over the years in different iterations, with return to forever, the electric band x 2, trio with Miroslav Vitous, with Gary Burton and a string quintet, and most recently in 2019 with Bela Fleck. I always felt privileged to be in his vicinity, and that he was one of the most gifted master musicians i had ever witnessed. So sorry to see him go, i believe he was 79.

Re: Chick Corea has passed

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:08 am

I was surprised too,
I saw him once on a little pier in the 90's.

He left us with some great gifts, thanks Chick.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:28 pm

WOW. I didn't see this in the news for some reason. I saw Chick Corea dozens of times in the NYC area and even at night clubs in CT and surrounding area. With Carlos, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Larry Coryell McCoy Tyner, hell even James Taylor. Back then in that area there were a bunch of musicians who lived near me so they would all play together in the area. Darius Brubeck, you name a jazz musician and I probably saw Chick play with them. I even saw him play with Darius Brubeck's son's band Gathering Forces (actually this was The Brubeck Brother's Band as it had brothers Darius, Dan and Chris) at a party at Christopher Walken's house.

Sad day for sure. He was friendly, totally approachable but above all a seriously talented musician and composer.

It sucks cause I am at that age when all the great musicians of my past, the ones who influenced me, are starting to pas away at a terrible pace.
I am greatly saddened...

Tom

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Saw this and hit hard. His music was just enlightening.

Watching a Chick Corea special on PBS now, truly an amazing man in music and personally.