Son's NGD Taylor

Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Oh to be 18 again (and have a father that digs guitars)!

My son's 18th birthday was yesterday and since he will be a music major next year starting college, is an exceptional musician, great student, all around good kid AND this year has generally sucked, a "slight impulse buy" resulted in the Taylor 224ce K-DLX below showing up at the house. :thumbup:

He has electrics but always borrowing an acoustic for those events so I figured he needed one of his own. After trying out a few mid-priced Martin's (my preference) my wife reminded me he likes Taylors better. So played a couple and the shop owner said "You might want to take a look at this one." The flame KOA and shaded burst grabbed my attention, then the sound was very nice. To the point I overheard my wife say, "I like THAT one." Pictures don't do the flame justice and gold hardware is a sweet addition.

Well received by the birthday boy also! :happy0065:

Image Image

Image Image

Re: Son's NGD Taylor

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 am

Nice choice Sam's Wife. :D
:thumbup:

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Elwood you are correct on many levels. She is consistently on the wise side.

I preferred the Taylor as well, even with a penchant for standard Martin D models but this Taylor is pretty sweet.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:39 am

I love koa! I discovered the wood back in the 1970s and built a piece of furniture with it with my brother. Then in 1981 I bought a DC200 from Carvin that was a solid body guitar with 2 humbuckers. It was all koa including the neck. I kept it until 2006 when I sold it because I just have too much guitars. Your son is a lucky young man!

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Kit,

That DC 200 sounds like it was truly a winner. My experience with koa to date is with ukuleles, and there is definitely a difference with that wood. Yes he is lucky but very appreciative. Been nice hearing that guitar round the house for a few days as well.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm

That's a beauty! Nice job Sam (and wife). Best of luck to the boy in college.
And the more guitars you buy for the boy the more you can "borrow" :D

Jeff

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:16 pm

Thanks Jeff!

Don’t let the secret out about “borrowing” guitars. :shh: