RIP EVH

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:58 pm

It is a sad day for the rock guitar world, and for those who knew and loved Eddie.
I'm fairly certain that he and his craft touched the lives of most who visit this forum or hoist a G&L guitar.
How did he impact your life? Share a memory or a story if you'd like...

Re: RIP EVH

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Sad day indeed.

I recall when Van Halen came out and thought holy cow, these guys can play. BUT, being a bigger Kinks fan I thought what are they doing to “You really got me”. A band I joined at the time said Let’s play “You really got me”, and I said Great, love the Kinks! The reply was the Kinks did that song? A little age difference but respect for great song. Eddie obviously like the Kinks because they did a good cover of “Where have all the good times gone?” as well. :thumbup:

Missed a chance to see him solo in the mid 80’s. Saw the Eric Martin band in a bar in San Francisco and left before show ended. What do ya know, Eddie Van Halen came in and played with the band at the end. Missed opportunity for sure. :cry:

I did see the Diver Down tour in Indiana and Eddie was on fire. In 1982 they were still setting the stage and they rock and rolled. :elguitar054:

Have to agree with a comment in “greatest guitarist” article from a few years back (Can’t recall the guitarist now) that said Eddie Van Halen was one of those once or twice in a lifetime guitarist. Jimi Hendrix introduced electronics and Eddie brought speed and fretboard wizardry, I believe it will be some time before another player comes along that truly introduces something awe inspiring and different like Eddie did.

RIP EVH

Re: RIP EVH

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 pm

you were lucky to have seen Eddie live!

in addition to his undisputed prowess and pioneering in the "lead" guitar dept, I think he was quite the "rhythm" player - his tone and his technique, sense of rhythm were masterful. some of the best studio electric rock guitar tones I've ever heard. i never bought their records after the 1st one until much later when i bought a VH best-of package for my wife. it had the usual hits, but some of the newer, not so well known tunes on there were really a good listen.

another guitarist i like, Nuno Bettencourt, recently shared his thoughts about eddie's passing on his facebook page, and he expressed heavy doses of influence from EVH. Nuno also has a unique rhythm talent as well as substantial lead chops.

i would add Holdsworth as one of those once in a century guys who was completely unique in his approach. He conceptualized scales and chords/harmony in his own way, and the wide intervals he used in his playing were really previously unexplored territory. I read that Eddie was a fan of his as well, and actually got Alan a record deal with WB in the 80's.