Some of my music

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:24 am

I just found a way to get some of the music I have recorded shareable (I know that's not a word) through a website called Radiolicious.

Less than ago I started writing music, just to see if I can do it. Then I ran into an old friend who needed some music composed for a project she wanted to do and I gave it a shot. The result is an album of Meditation music. Normally I don't dig New Age but I did prove that I can create music that is way outside my comfort zone. I had to use a lot of synthesizer s stuff and create a lot of sound effects on my own and it resulted in an album that can be bought from CD Baby or iTunes called The Next Spirit. At 60bpm this isn't stuff for tapping your toes. It is designed to help you get in a trance. For those who enjoy that, this record works well.

Then I started working on songs that, while not as coma inducing as the album, still have a soundtrack-ish quality to them. All but one of them are instrumentals. The song with lyrics is called "Fly" and was written for my wife. After getting these tunes copyrighted I feel comfortable sharing them for good, bad or indifferent with the world, or at least those of you who frequent the G&LDP.

Here is a link to my songs on Radiolicious and even though G&Ls (and a Heritage) were used in the making of this music, none of them were injured. Just humiliated. I play all the instruments except for the song "Fly." My friends Rush Olson (bass & vocals), Dean Pauley (Rickenbacker 12 string) and Kevin Rothstein (Congas, Bongos and percussion) carried most of the water on this while I just played acoustic rhythm and did the recording duties.

If my html ignorance is showing badly, you can just go to www.radiolicious.fm and search for Brian Gagnon.

Thank you guys.

Craig or Dean - If I'm breaking the rules by doing this and you need to dump it, I'll be cool with that.

Brian

Code:
object width="230" height="66" data="http://www.radiolicious.fm/images/miniplay.swf?id=38911&cache=1">    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="false" />    <param name="movie" value="http://www.radiolicious.fm/images/miniplay.swf?id=38911&cache=1" />    <embed src="http://www.radiolicious.fm/images/miniplay.swf?id=38911&cache=1" width="230" height="66" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="never" allowFullScreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" /> </object> <br> <a href="http://www.radiolicious.fm/artists" >Artists: Get your own free radio station</a>

Brian on Radiolicious

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:47 am

Brian,

Enjoyed the cut. Well done. My impression is surf/spy music.

What is your recording setup? Inquiring minds...

Brian on Radiolicious

TNX

Jamie

Re: Some of my music

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:19 am

Not sure what song I got, but this site is a bit not friendly with my speakers. Otherwise it is interesting, kind of a nice step back. this one was a tad folkish, maybe gypsy. Good stuff.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Brian, I don't know how to get Radiolicious to work, but I went to cdbaby and heard previews of a few songs. The snippets are how you described the music. I like what I heard, though I wish I can hear more complete songs.

Kit

Re: Brian on Radiolicious

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Jamie _D wrote:Brian,

Enjoyed the cut. Well done. My impression is surf/spy music.

What is your recording setup? Inquiring minds...

Brian on Radiolicious

TNX

Jamie

Jamie!

Thanks for figuring out the html for me.

Some of the songs were done in Garageband on an iMac. The surf/spy thing was done on my current setup which is a 3gHz Mac Pro Dual Quad Core using Logic as its software. The older stuff was done through a Mackie CFX116 and a Lexicon Alpha interface. Running The Ridge (Surf/Spy) was done using a Presonus Studio Live 16/4/2. Guitar stuff was taken direct through a Digitech RP350. Drums on this one are an apple loop and bass is a Tribby L2500 played through a 60w Ampeg and recorded using an AKG Perception 120. Keyboard synth stuff is done with built in synths in Logic. Guitars were my Heritage H150CM and a Mac Whiteside built Comanche that is currently on long tern loan.

Does that help?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:13 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Not sure what song I got, but this site is a bit not friendly with my speakers. Otherwise it is interesting, kind of a nice step back. this one was a tad folkish, maybe gypsy. Good stuff.

Folkish or Gypsy. Hmmmmm.

I wonder if you are referring to Thumb Thing? I used a kalimba sitting atop a conga. A kalimba is also known as a thumb piano and their origins are African. Thy look to be toys but there is a whole pile of serious kalimba music out there. Some of them have three octaves and pickups! I want one. Kalimbas are not very loud on their own but about as loud as an acoustic guitar when placed on a drum. I used a pair of Sennheiser moving coil mics for a coincident stereo pair. I thought it worked really well.

About the step back Idea I heard Jeff "Skunk" Baxter interviewed during which he said something to the effect that all guitar players have to go through what he called the "Chuck Berry Portal." He said he thinks that everyone goes through a period in their development where they all play sounding like Chuck Berry. I kind of think that's true. In fact I'd love to play as well as he. From listening to my own playing I can't tell if I haven't reached that point yet or if I'm just a little bit past it.

So thanks for at least deciding it's "interesting." There are so many worse things you could have said. ;)

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Kit wrote:Brian, I don't know how to get Radiolicious to work, but I went to cdbaby and heard previews of a few songs. The snippets are how you described the music. I like what I heard, though I wish I can hear more complete songs.

Kit

I think Radiolicious is geared for cell phone users.

CD Baby doesn't let us put much out there and with the 1st cut on the record being 41 minutes long - it's a suite in seven movements at 60 bpm - I don't think any clip is going to give much of a sample.

Email me your address.