Weber MiniMASS 50

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey ya'll, :greet:

After my recent post on attenuator tubes I have gone down the path of a Weber Mini MASS 50 attenuator to reel in my Boogie F-50 at home.

After reviews and advice, my fear that all the tubes do is reduce the headroom at maximum volume and change the tone a bit I went with the Weber. This was also suggested by the folks at Vintage Sound, especially since they sell the Weber's.

This does keep the Boogie tone (BIG tone with master up) but a lot quieter. :banana: Still working with the impedence choices and general settings but first try very pleased. :thumbup: Will try with the Fender Blues Deluxe next and push more volume with other players soon.

Any other Weber Mini MASS 50 users?

Re: Weber MiniMASS 50

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 am

I may have to try something like this on my Mark, seeing as 10W is still only 1/2 of 100W and still way too freaking loud to turn the master passed 8.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Sounds like a good option to me. :thumbup: (based on brief experience) For the Mark V you probably need to go with a 100W or bigger version according to Weber and other user recommendations. There's a few on ebay now. Let us now if you get it and what you think.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 am

sam wrote:Sounds like a good option to me. :thumbup: (based on brief experience) For the Mark V you probably need to go with a 100W or bigger version according to Weber and other user recommendations. There's a few on ebay now. Let us now if you get it and what you think.

future plans , nothing immediate. Was also considering those on tube attenuator thingies. Yellowjackets would be an example.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Interesting. I had an F50 and bought a MiniMass to use with it. But in the end, I couldn't tell any difference between cranking the master and using the MiniMass to reduce volume or simply keeping the master low. I even recorded takes both ways, and comparing those clips I couldn't hear any difference, so I sold the MiniMass. I tried all kinds of things with my F50 to getter better tone at low volumes, and I didn't find any of them helped. But if it's working for you, that's great. :thumbup:

For me the issue was the high end fuzzies...seemed more prominent at low volumes. At higher volumes, the thing sounded great, those fuzzies were still there, but mixed in nicely with the rest of the frequencies giving a nice overall tone.