Let's Talk Amps and MFDs

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Curious what everyone is using with their MFD pickups. I know that the AC30 is well known for playing nice with all variety of MFDs. That's my current setup and it sounds glorious with all of my G&Ls.

Lately I've been thinking about dipping my toe in the Marshall waters. I've never owned one and that single channel Origin series is tempting me. Does anyone have experience with this amp or other EL34 amps and MFD pickups?
More generally, what's your favorite amp to play with your G&Ls?

Cheers!

Re: Let's Talk Amps and MFDs

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm

I have a Vox AC4C1 that plays quite well with my MFD guitars; I think the larger bass output of the MFDs helps balance the amp. When playing my MFD guitars (F100 , SC3 ) through my Silverface Champ or a lot of other random amps out there, I find I like to roll back the bass PTB a lot to get the tone I want (and then when I want to drop a bomb so to speak, I can turn it up ;) )

I just bought a maligned Marshall - the JCM2000 TSL602 . It's my first 'real' Marshall, and while I'm pretty ignorant (having never played all the better-liked Marshall models out there,) I really enjoy it - especially for the price. Great sound & versatility, but still need dial back the bass on both the amp and the PTB using MFD; when I do at least one of those things, it sounds pretty great. The TSL is alleged to possess a buzzy top-end; but even using the SC3 MFD singles (which have tremendous top-end power,) it seems my TSL maintains a solid, smooth top end tone - could be mine just has good tubes/bias.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:53 pm

My main amp is a Vox AC15C1, though I pretty much only use it when playing at church. I find it really works well with my pedal setup. I picked up an Ampeg BA-110. I originally picked it up for practicing my bass, but it has become my default practice amp at home. It doesn't have enough volume for playing outside the home IMO, but it actually sounds pretty good with my MFD guitars. The Scrambler effect gives a nice overdrive tone at volume levels that don't upset the rest of the household. I would like to try a Supro Blues King 12. There have been other Supro's that looked interesting to me, but many had master volume only which is a no go for what I do.

Cheers, Dan

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm

I have a couple carvin tube amps, a V3m and a nomad from the vintage tube series. They are both 50 watts and have El84’s in the power stage but are voiced differently. The V3m sounds like a Marshall and my Comanche and asat special sound amazing through it. The nomad is better for blues, reggae and jazz, and sounds great with my skyhawk, asat classic, tele, strat.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Good stuff guys. It is certain that the Voxs sound great with the MFDs. Glad to hear about other amps that work well too.
Lately I've been checking out episodes of Tone Talk with Dave Friedman (of Friedman amps). Him and his co-host interview a lot of great amp builders and it's inspiring me to look into some different amp options. Recommend the show...especially if you can listen while working.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:59 am

I'm trying to make my mind up between the Silvertone 1474 and my 90s Ampeg Reverbrocket. Both play nice but the Ampeg's reverb is pretty compelling. Silvertone is killer for leads but the jangle of the Ampeg is, well, jangly.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:18 am

Rivera Amps and MFD pickups are a match made in Heaven. I have a Venus 3 and it’s the only amp I need.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:13 am

I have a Swart Atomic Space Tone (AST) and I like the sound I get out of it with my mfd and non-mfd g&l instruments.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:05 am

So guys, I wanted to ask, what would be a good amp to play in a house with an Asat Classic Bluesboy? The thing is that I'm mostly playing with the tiniest, weakest amp I could find at the local shop because I live in a flat and don't want to anger the neighbors too much, but I'll soon have the opportunity to play in one of these houses in Greece, as I'm getting one for the holidays.
Last edited by Foxbat_25 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 am

In all honesty if you want a good sound at ‘listening’ level, it’s worthwhile to grab an audio interface to connect with a laptop, and use a small PA monitor with any of various software-based solutions. GarageBand works quite well and has the bonus of letting you record easily. With the ability to create backing tracks, it’s a great tool for practice.

In my experience, small wattage tube amps (even one watt - 5 watts) when cranked will easily be enough to annoy neighbors. You also tend to not have enough headroom to play well with pedals. Ten - fifteen solid state watts can still be loud, and a lot of small SS amps sacrifice quite a bit in sound quality - small speakers and fake sounding drive channels.

That said if you want a good tone from a small amp, I like the Orange Crush series. I had a Crush 20 LDX with a goofy, bad sounding drive channel - but pretty beautiful cleans, and the ability to crank the clean into breakup (again though - loud.) My dad had a small 6” (ten/fifteen watt?) version of the Crush that also sounded remarkable for being such a tiny amp. He had two other small solid states (an Acoustic 20 and a Frontman from a Strat Pack.) The Orange was by far the best.

I’d still rather use a larger amp turned down as far as sound, but a large amp is less portable ;)

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:45 pm

My main amp is Vox AC15C1, but it really is too much for playing at home. Personally I don't find it too loud... but to be honest, I like playing music loud. My wife and kids complain when I play the Vox at level where I can get the tone I like. Well to be honest, they say the same when I play the stereo... I keep telling them they're too old if it is too loud -- they don't seem to appreciate it. :elguitar054:

My Ampeg BA-110 actually sounds good at reasonable volume that does not irritate the family, but is really a different tone than the Vox and my preference is the Vox... I think Danely has good advise, audio interface and use software to emulate the amp/cabinet combo you like.

I don't own an Orange, but the few times I trialed an Orange in store, I have enjoyed the tone - but I suspect they too would have been "hot" for the size of my house.

I guess a need a larger home, or a more sound proof music room!

Cheers, Dan