Think I'm hanging them up...

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:49 pm

After about 7 years of playing guitar, I think I'm going to hang them up and switch gears for a while. This past weekend's jam session confirmed it for me.

We've been doing a blues jam session around here for quite a few months. When I first joined, it was strictly for guitar. But as time went on and people stopped coming (mostly drummers), we were needing someone to jump on the kit. Being a former, long-time drummer, I figured I could fill in when needed and when the real drummers came back, they could have at it. Problem is, the real drummers aren't coming back.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't feel as if I'm sacrificing at all. I love playing music to any capacity so if the need calls for percussion, I'm there giving it my best. But to me it feels like the right time to switch from guitar back to drums.

This weekend was the absolute best we've ever sounded. I attribute most of that to the seldom-seen keyboard player who showed up this go-around. He's a very good player and his choices of sounds and chords really fit in well with the songs. He was really the only one I could hear when I'm playing, so I definitely was able to feed off his great playing. Nothing like that synergy! When it was all over, I realized how much I have missed being behind the skins and as a result, my percussion spark has been re-ignited.

The last year or so, I haven't really progressed at all on guitar. I find myself just messing around on it, playing things I already know. I haven't been advancing in my playing and no amount of NGD posts can fix that I'm finding. So the new Gretsch I just bought is going back, as much as it pains me to say so. It's an amazing guitar all-around!

I still intend to keep some of my guitar gear which means some of it will be sold. I'll have plenty of pedals to get rid of and a few amps and guitars will go as well. If you're interested in the full list, please message me.

I'll still be around and will probably check in from time to time. But I think it's time to get back to the beats.

Thanks all!

Re: Think I'm hanging them up...

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Hey nubs, nothing wrong with playing both! Keep your besties handy, and they will call to you.
Dave Grohl did it. You can too!
https://youtu.be/PWYIBVEAZqM Some words of wisdom from Peter Gabriel and Kate bush!
Regards, John o

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm

As long as you're still playing - and excellent you have a venue for your drumming/guitar either way :) I would still work to pick it up when you can, and keep yourself fresh 'in case.' I went through a long period of music-depression where I didn't want to play for a variety of reasons, but mostly because the groups and people I used to play with evaporated and I concentrated on other hobbies. Ultimately I regretted that I'd 'lost' a lot of time and skill during my break, and I'm currently taking lessons to get back to where I was (and better, if possible.) You never know, so def. hang on to a guitar or two.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:15 pm

Well, at least you will still be playing music and having fun with like minded musicians. And it’s not like you are getting rid of ALL your guitars. Keep your favourite .

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:30 am

Hey, I hear you. My "professional" music career is/was as a percussionist.

I used guitar as an aid to songwriting(pianos are too big to carry around).

Please, send me a list(I'm also a lefty): iwill@palaia.com

Cheers,
Will

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks all. I don't plan on getting rid of everything. I do want to keep a few guitars around including the Gretsch I just got. But most of the other guitars, an amp or two, and all of the pedals can go.

I'm working on a complete listing of items for sale & will post here when it's done. But moving into drums feels like the right move for me right now. I'll still mess around on the guitar, just not as much as I am now.

Thanks again!

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey Nubs,

Understand the getting away from it idea, gotta be done sometime. Even better that your not going totally away from guitars. Only caution is be careful what you get rid of, inevitably you will want something back you sold. Glad to hear yer still going to stay in sandbox, your input is always good to see.