In 2019 , Do We Still Hate TSLs?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Been using a couple small tube amps of late (Vox AC4 and Silverface Champ,) but on the look-out for something more substantial than those (or my MacBook/PA) to play through. Took it as a sign when I found this about a block from my guitar teacher's house after a lesson, the moment the price was lowered to something very tempting:

With foot-switch! It sounded good in the dark alley when I plugged it in to try, but had a few issues I discovered in daylight: For one it was ridiculously quiet, I could almost play with the master and clean volume dimed and be at 'listening-level.' First discovery- amp set for 8 ohms, speakers in series for 16 ohms. Flipped the impedance switch and that gave progress, but it still wasn't louder than say, my Champ.

Proceeded to swap 12AX7s through to the uh, left-most one where I determined the offending Russian Tung Sol- Replaced, and *now* I need to roll back the Master :mrgreen: Can't say I've had awesome amps- mostly silly vintage solid state combos, or modern modelers, apart from a 'communal' Fender Tonemaster/Mesa Cab used with my college band; so this is probably my first 'real' amp, weird as that is.

TSLs never seemed to be fashionable, but this one agrees with me anyway - and I can flip it at Guitar Center and make more than I grabbed it for, if it comes to it. I'm finding useable tones in all channels, but there are def. ways to make it sound less good (the scoop switch, for one.) May think about a speaker swap, but I can't say the stock 'Wolverines' bug me. Look forward to experimenting with the effects loop (never used one.) Feel free to comment here with any strong feelings toward these ridiculous baggy jean/nu metal/pop-punk washing machines, but I feel pretty at home back in 2002 at the moment ;)

Re: In 2019 , Do We Still Hate TSLs?

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:06 pm

I call it "destiny" when things like that happen. Nice amp.
I had a DSL 401 back in the day. A bit of a 1 trick pony, and i never liked the "clean" channel, but it sure sounded great with my LP.
Have fun with that one. JCM made them nice. The tone controls are truly very interactive and the foot switch is handy for gigs.