The Who Moving On

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:57 am

Howdy all,

Unfortunately been off the grid for a while, busy gets in the way ya’ know. ;)

Took my son to see The Who the other night because, since he is a musician he needs to see the historically important bands. They are in my top three as well. As a guy who saw The Who in 1979, first farewell tour 1982 and Daltrey solo 2008 I have a few memories. Some shadier than others. The 2008 Daltrey show was him opening for Eric Clapton, and it was a treat as I finally heard some of his solo stuff that I love. The down side was his voice was definitely strained, so was not sure what we would hear now. He had throat surgery in 2010 that obviously worked miracles. His voice is as strong and full as it has ever been! Pete was in rare form. Having a good time and rocking out.

The show was with orchestra backing which made it even richer and allowed for Tommy and Quadrophenia songs to be played properly. The show was broken into three sections: Tommy and a new song with orchestra, classics with just the band, then Quadrophenia and Baba O’Riley to close. 2 hours with no intermission and 22 songs.

My 16 yr old son was surprised he knew as many songs as he did, but I reminded him he was weaned on The Who among other greats. If they are coming near you this is a show that is worth the time and effort to see. Bonus for son was he got to meet the opening 3 piece band Reignwolf between bands. Autographed CD and picture with the band. The singer guitar player at one point in their set got behind the drum kit and played guitar while playing drums. Not just whacking at the kit, actually playing, which a cool visual and sonic part of their show. When we talked to them about that but, he said when they were playing a show early on they were short on songs and he just pulled it off and got a good response. Kudos to him.

See them while you can :elguitar054: