American Special Jazzmaster

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 pm

Incoming - Excused myself for buying it by saying it's been a year and a half since my last guitar (the SC3,) and it's also an excuse for me to put some of my cheap beater guitars (no G&Ls will be sold!) up for sale locally to make space in my music room generally.

It was never a 'this or a G&L' scenario - Only a good deal, when I always wanted a US Jazzmaster. Was going to wait for a deal on an American Professional, but this came along with an ATA case included as well as most of the original parts to make it stock - I told the seller to keep the Lace pickup (as much as I've always wanted to try a Red again,) and I have my own Jazzmaster pickups lined up to go in:

Will post more as I get it and work on it. I still want a Doheny btw ;)

Re: American Special Jazzmaster

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

This is exactly the reaction I expected - no worries, not even people who actually like Jazzmasters like this guitar (so it's sort of treasonous for me to like it, as I'm one of the biggest 'stick with the stock bridge & stock vibrato' Jaguar/Jazzmaster advocates :D )

Anyway, it got here. Here's half the value (prob.) of what I paid - ATA case that protected it well from the delivery squad:

Hello Ugly; yeah, I'm talking to you (broken/rough plexiglass, dirt)

The most important thing about wiring is making it as temporary as possible. Before putting my slated pickup set in (ok, I'm still trying to decide what to put in it) I kept the stock neck pickup - which it turns out was broken (no hum-canceling, half-DCR.) The seller seems un-motivated to make it right, but full disclosure I also never planned to use this pickup- and I got a total steal of a price regardless- so contemplating my next action with him. I installed a Squier bridge pickup 'just to get it running.'

I honestly have no clue *what* makes for good tort like a lot of people, but I do like it brown, and this is brown:

"Have a seat in that chair, sir."

Vs. my bastard Squier VM (I didn't add the Fender logo, but also have no urge to spend time removing it.)

I REALLY like this guitar. It's comfortable, it plays great, it thumps - obviously the Squier pickup and half-functional neck pickup are sub-optimal, but I'm quite glad I have this guitar and look forward to messing with it further. It's 100 degrees and I sweat all over it twice over )after sweating on it over a hot soldering iron) but it fits like a glove. Again these are viewed as treasonous 'Jazzmasters for people who don't etc.' , but it ticks a lot of boxes for me (it's a hardtail US Jazzmaster with big frets in a durable urethane finish that isn't so uber-rare or valuable I'll worry about living with it.) Besides, I already have a lot of traditional offsets; those guitars aren't going anywhere.

TLDR - It plays great, sounds great, and the quality is right where it needs to be for the price (as the 'base model' US Fender) - probably better than my American Deluxe Strat of a few years prior.

One more thing worth a mention: If you plan on buying one and routing it for a stock Jazzmaster bridge/vib. , probably don't. The neck sticks up higher from the body to accommodate the Adjust-O-Matic, and even the pickups can barely be adjusted what most people would call 'close enough.' You'd have a ludicrous amount of break angle and a high bridge if you used a rocker and Jazzmaster vib. Not that I planned on doing this, but don't butcher these for that reason :D Still want a saddle-lock Doheny, but don't see myself parting with this guitar either.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 am

nice looking JM! i never knew they came with option of gibson-like bridge and tailpiece

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 am

drjho7 wrote:nice looking JM! i never knew they came with option of gibson-like bridge and tailpiece

Thanks! I want to say they made these ~’13 - ‘17 ? Some had a Bigsby tailpiece. The most particular part of me doesn’t really ‘like’ the Tune-O-Matic/Stoptail as compared to a string-through Strat hardtail (let alone a Saddle Lock) ; but I get that it’s a ‘thing’ and works pretty well on this guitar. I just installed a Duncan Jazzmaster Hot set in the guitar - big improvement. I’m taking apart the stock stacked pickup right now as I’m getting fluctuating resistance readings from it removed - but still no hum-canceling somehow. Still, the Duncans will stay and I am proud of how it looks at this point (even if it’s just ‘back to stock.’)

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 am

Nice work on restoring that one!

I don't think the American Special Jazzmasters (and Mustangs) were permanent offerings; I think they were annual limited run items there in that 2013-2017 time frame. There is a permanent Jazzmaster offering in the American Performer series that replaced the American Specials, but it has a Strat tremolo, but interestingly enough the Mustang has an updated version of the classic Mustang tremolo (the American Special Mustangs had the same tune-o-matic bridges as the Jazzmaster you just reworked).

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:39 am

John C wrote:Nice work on restoring that one!

I don't think the American Special Jazzmasters (and Mustangs) were permanent offerings; I think they were annual limited run items there in that 2013-2017 time frame. There is a permanent Jazzmaster offering in the American Performer series that replaced the American Specials, but it has a Strat tremolo, but interestingly enough the Mustang has an updated version of the classic Mustang tremolo (the American Special Mustangs had the same tune-o-matic bridges as the Jazzmaster you just reworked).

I am intrigued by the American Performer Mustang vibrato; I’m a freak who likes making original Mustang Vibratos fly like Floyds and stay in tune, but they’re def. more annoying to work with vs. other bridges and I was happy to see Fender’s innovation there on its weak points. On the other hand - I’d rather just get a Doheny with a DFV if I was comparing to an American Performer Jazzmaster, all things being equal.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

Danley wrote:

I am intrigued by the American Performer Mustang vibrato; I’m a freak who likes making original Mustang Vibratos fly like Floyds and stay in tune, but they’re def. more annoying to work with vs. other bridges and I was happy to see Fender’s innovation there on its weak points. On the other hand - I’d rather just get a Doheny with a DFV if I was comparing to an American Performer Jazzmaster, all things being equal.

I never had an original Mustang to compare it, but my American Performer is very stable when you use it. You still have to wrap the strings under the bridge, but it moves very smoothly. And their new modernized vintage-looking split post tuners are great.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 am

John C wrote:
Danley wrote:

I never had an original Mustang to compare it, but my American Performer is very stable when you use it. You still have to wrap the strings under the bridge, but it moves very smoothly. And their new modernized vintage-looking split post tuners are great.

I really want one in the pink ‘penny’ color. I made the decision to sell my American Deluxe Strat (great guitar but the neck developed a permanent bow my luthier can’t fix and the headstock is color matched so don’t just want to swap a generic - selling at a loss,) so one of them might be in my future. Glad you like it.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am

Danley wrote:
John C wrote:
Danley wrote:

I really want one in the pink ‘penny’ color. I made the decision to sell my American Deluxe Strat (great guitar but the neck developed a permanent bow my luthier can’t fix and the headstock is color matched so don’t just want to swap a generic - selling at a loss,) so one of them might be in my future. Glad you like it.

Thanks! I was boring and just went with good old 3-color burst for mine. I have never owned a Mustang before so I can't compare the new pickups to originals - but I like the ones in the Mustang. That being said I don't care for the pickups in the American Performer Strats or Teles; probably because I really liked the pickups Fender used in American Standards from March 2012 until they were discontinued - which were "Fat 50s" on the Strats and "Twisted Tele/Broadcaster" on the Teles.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 pm

John C wrote:Thanks! I was boring and just went with good old 3-color burst for mine. I have never owned a Mustang before so I can't compare the new pickups to originals - but I like the ones in the Mustang. That being said I don't care for the pickups in the American Performer Strats or Teles; probably because I really liked the pickups Fender used in American Standards from March 2012 until they were discontinued - which were "Fat 50s" on the Strats and "Twisted Tele/Broadcaster" on the Teles.

Guess I have an excuse to post mine - '66 I restored from a hulk:

It's a nitro refin, stock/original parts are bridge, vibrato, neck, body, and I have an original pickguard in the case. New parts are pickups, electronics, tuners etc. I really do love Mustangs, but they can be a pain to set up initially. The vibrato has an amazing range of motion and (if you know the tricks) they stay in tune about as well as any non-locking vibrato. Love the super-loose, easy feel.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:38 am

Danley wrote:
John C wrote:Thanks! I was boring and just went with good old 3-color burst for mine. I have never owned a Mustang before so I can't compare the new pickups to originals - but I like the ones in the Mustang. That being said I don't care for the pickups in the American Performer Strats or Teles; probably because I really liked the pickups Fender used in American Standards from March 2012 until they were discontinued - which were "Fat 50s" on the Strats and "Twisted Tele/Broadcaster" on the Teles.

Guess I have an excuse to post mine - '66 I restored from a hulk:

It's a nitro refin, stock/original parts are bridge, vibrato, neck, body, and I have an original pickguard in the case. New parts are pickups, electronics, tuners etc. I really do love Mustangs, but they can be a pain to set up initially. The vibrato has an amazing range of motion and (if you know the tricks) they stay in tune about as well as any non-locking vibrato. Love the super-loose, easy feel.

Nice work on the Mustang; really nice color for the refin.

Here's mine - I do need to take some new photos as this is from December when I first got it - prior to taking off the plastic film on the pickguard and bridge. Mine is "first batch" so Fender didn't have the "model description" stickers for the American Performers that are usually on the pickguard film yet"

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 pm

*...sigh.* Probably should just aggregate all my random ‘Fender Offset’ posts here. As-mentioned, I just sold my Strat and a couple other guitars (a few still awaiting sale.) In truth I’ve been trolling the usual places, for a Bel Air green (or other surf-tone) Legacy or S500 to make up for it, since all three of my G&Ls are black.

But I keep getting distracted. Am in a Mustang mood, so became particularly bothered by some cracks developing in the back of my refin Daphne body pictured above. Had the idea I could get a temporary cheap Mustang body while I took the above one apart for some dissection and a refin- This culminated in me buying another ‘66 body and realizing I had enough spares in a shoebox (extra pickguard, bridge, vibrato, pickups etc.) to build 99% of a new Mustang, so I low-balled a (semi-correct but vintage) neck. That’s coming now, so I’m going to build two Mustangs- a ‘good’ one and a ‘spare.’ To be continued...

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Might as well lay out my plans; waiting for the big chunks to get here still, but giving more thought as to what to do with all the parts:

Here are the cracks on my existing Mustang body; I've been told they're structurally sound and not to let them bother me, and yet they do:

Someone's other refinished '66 body, this one a respray over original Dakota paint. Debating whether I should just wet-sand the refin (needed,) or try to get down to the factory finish.

Wound up low-balling/getting this:

My shoebox:

Pickup Choices

-Duncan Jaguar Hot set
-Duncan Jaguar Vintage set
-Rose Mariposas (mid & bridge - vintage singles)
-Rose Buff Beauties (installed at present - hotter singles)

Pickguard Choice

-Cheap MIC 'aged' pearl (on guitar above)
-Parchment with rough-edges/handmade by drunken ex-friend
-Vintage '70s pickguard pulled off a guitar that was passed around at a prison for about thirty years (I am seriously leery about touching this pickguard and a corner is understandably missing - the pearloid all but eliminated. And yet, it is intriguing to think this thing is still covered in the grease and dirt of rough men who may have almost been as disgusting as me. The rest of the guitar was Comp. Orange with the stripe - and looked fabulous.)

So I'm thinking:

Red Mustang - 'The Good One'
-'66 Dakota body - just buffed first, we'll see about sanding down to the original finish later
-'66 Mustang Neck
-Vintage prison pickguard - MAYBE, if I can stand the thought of touching it on a regular basis
-Rose Buff Beauties (hot singles)
-'64 Vibrato (better chrome - but I don't know if it will stay in tune as well as my '66 , so we'll see)
-Vintage Bridge

Blue Mus-Co - 'The Other One'
-'66 Daphne body with cracks - after some attempt at repair
-Bronco neck
-Chinese pickguard
-Duncan Jaguar Hots (I seem to prefer higher output in Mustangs so...)
-'66 Vibrato (worse chrome)
-MIJ Bridge (after stiffening the intonation screws)

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Only crappy pics, till I'm 'final' on it, but update:

-Vintage F-tuners didn't have the collar that reissue F-tuners possess; Am at present filing the F-tuners down to fit the neck; it's a chore, but not impossible
-Need to get neck screws that fit (mine are too long/will be through the fretboard)
-Everything else is done; might swap the guard for parchment/mint (I now have one of each, thanks to the seller) and at that point mess with the wiring more but for now it's standard:

You might notice I mostly dropped the 'double' aspect, it seems everyone else is confident the Mustang body won't fall apart or anything, and I pretty much want to keep it as-is (even if technically I could 'finish' the red one now by pirating the neck...)

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:47 pm

And one to go! :D

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Projects done :)