RIP Dick Dale

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 am

One artist I always wanted to see. I was happy whenever I checked his antiquated, Geocities-esque website and saw yeah - just like last year and the year before, he was still throwing out tour dates. Meant I'd have another chance to see him.

In reality I know he was quite ill and only touring to pay medical bills. And unfortunately, I never got a chance in my schedule to make the trek to the Coachhouse in Dana Point where he always seemed to have a show. I love his music and what it represents - two of my uncles were original SoCal surfers in the sixties, and even my dad (a music fan but not a surfer) always mentioned seeing him in the Rendezvous ballroom on Newport Beach. I only dabbled in surfing, but it's a part of California culture that I think unfortunately lost emphasis. I know the Hendrix quote is something along the lines of 'So you'll never have to listen to surf music again,' but sometimes I imagine a world where virtuosos like Dick Dale continued to take over pop music instead, and I do not hate that world.

I pretty much honed my tremolo picking on Miserlou and Nitro; I built the guitar below partly in his inspiration (to have a sparkle gold Strat, though my iteration has Lace Sensors.) Will miss another legend.

Re: RIP Dick Dale

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:23 am

The connection between Leo Fender and Dick Dale cannot be forgotten. It brought about the development of the Showman and Dual Showman amplifiers.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 am

suave eddie wrote:The connection between Leo Fender and Dick Dale cannot be forgotten. It brought about the development of the Showman and Dual Showman amplifiers.

That Gold Strat in the picture in the OP was a personal gift from Leo to Dale.

- Jost

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

+1

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am

Did he play a right-handed strung guitar upside-down and left handed?

Tom

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm

FZTNT wrote:Did he play a right-handed strung guitar upside-down and left handed?

Tom

Yes, he does. Bass string down at the bottom, treble string at the top. I can't even imagine how he forms chords!

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:41 pm

AKA: Lefty strung righty. Eric Gales, Doyle Bramhall and Otis Rush played the same way.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm

a bit late, but RIP Dick Dale

Danley, that was a great post

I have a G&L George Fullerton in natural, with a white pickguard, that sorta reminds me of Dale's gold strat