Volume Knob Location - Preferences?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Just have to vent my new achilles heel, but first some background: I've been a bit silent on this forum because I need to avoid accumulating more guitars - let's face it, when I see everyone post awesome gear my next stop is eBay. Instead I'm focusing on playing what I have; I'm taking guitar lessons for ~four months now after being self-schooled for the better part of fifteen years. Overall I've made a lot of progress (though not as much as I want - yet.)

One area I'm refining is my picking technique - I went from something goofy to a bit more of a conventional approach. This is where my achilles heel showed up: for lessons/practice I play three guitars primarily; my Lace Sensor Strat, my MIM Telecaster, and my Squier Jazzmaster (the G&Ls are an occasional thing - I worry about dumb things like scratching them, but I don't care at all about my MIM Fenders or Squiers to that degree.)

But the other day I picked up the Tribute ASAT Deluxe I keep at my mother's house - I almost could not play it :shock: Though I do not 'anchor,' the volume knob is now exactly where my curled fingers are when I pick high strings, and it wasn't like that before. It took me a good hour to acclimatize my picking to that guitar. So I went home and tried some of my other (neglected) guitars:

• Fender Jaguar: Has a SHARP-edged volume knob my hand cannot help but slam into; very uncomfortable
  • G&L F-100: I don't hit the knobs, but I tend to knock the pickup selector out of whack
  • G&L SC3: Mostly fine, except due to the small body size I also can hit the pickup selector on occasion
  • Jackson Soloist (Floyd: ) Volume knob is alright - fine tuners *murder* my wrist
  • Fender Mustang: Totally fine! (Even though it was always uncomfortable before...)

So I'm going to have to bring this up with my teacher and ask how to deal with it - But wondering, how much impact does knob placement have to you? Do you need time to adjust? Because to me it's basically rendered only three guitars I own playable with significant effort to change certain habits. The funny thing is I used to always hate Strat volume placement, but my fingers now naturally curl around it so it isn't an issue.

Re: Volume Knob Location - Preferences?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm

i know what you're saying, i have to reacclimate when i switch guitars re: knob and selector positions. the differences range from pretty minor to very noticeable, but the only one that has been a problem for me is my strat ('07, usa). i use that sometimes in a 3 man reggae/blues band i play in, and it's annoying when i "lose volume" mid-song because i knocked the vol knob back an 1/8-1/4 turn. interesting, that doesn't happen when i bring my skyhawk. i would use the skyhawk all the time, but sometimes the strat is just right for that music.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:17 pm

I prefer all my knobs to be out of the way. However, I had to seriously alter my normal picking technique to work around one of my guitars intrusive controls and ended up discovering some unexpected coolness. You never know!

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:57 am

Uhhh.......nope. No preference. I like them right where they come. That's how they were when I purchased the guitars and where they've always been. Gas pedal on the right, brake on the left, volume in front, tone in the rear. It is what it is.