Band I finally saw

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 pm

This is kind of a follow up to the TGIF Lunch Report September 28 when Dan was talking about bands we missed.

After listing bands I missed seeing, Dan's wise reply was...
Yep, I think if the opportunity presents itself to catch a player or group that is really interesting me that I am going to find a way to make it happen. Life should be enjoyed and celebrated.

Well I finally saw John Lydon (Rotten) and Public Image Limited (PiL) this week and it was a great show. 'The Public Image is Rotten’ 40th Anniversary' show. Hard to believe they have been around for 40 years and I haven't taken time to see them. Also missed the Sex Pistols in Memphis in 1978 because show sold out before I could get a ticket. PiL formed right after Pistols demise.

John is still a snarky dude, not quite as angry these days but enough attitude leaks out. The show was fantastic and the band was as tight as can be. The band has been the same since 2009 and Lu Edmonds guitar playing great. He rotated 4 guitars through each song. Started with a Telecaster then Les Paul, ES 335 and cool sitar like guitar. Playing into two Victoria Victrolux. Scott Firth bass was definitely loud and thumping. Bruce Smith on drums having a great time and John up front. John is a "rounder" version these days. A friend who saw them about 10 years ago said when they walked out on the stage John yelled, "We're 40, fat and back!". Great fun still and highly recommend if they are in your area over the next few weeks.

To prove I was there here are a couple of pics

Victrolux

Set list:
Deeper Water
Memories
The Body
Disappointed
Warrior
The One
Corporate
Death Disco
Cruel
I'm Not Satisfied
Flowers of Romance
This Is Not A Love Song
Rise
Encore:
Public Image
Open Up (Leftfield cover)
Shoom

Re: Band I finally saw

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Awesome! PIL is one my favorites, though i have not seen them live... yet. I'm am jealous :mrgreen:

Next weekend, I'm going to Abby Jeanne's Cosmic Weekend (Saturday show only) in Milwaukee. Saw the Bully was headlining Saturday's show and sisn't want to miss the opportunity (their Chicago date is sold out).

Cheers,
Dan