Ed King RIP

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am

Just saw this sad news. Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd died today of congestive heart failure.

In memory of Ed, as Ronnie VanZant said during the recording Sweet Home Alabama a song Ed co-wrote, "Turn it up."

https://www.theindychannel.com/entertai ... dies-at-68

Re: Ed King RIP

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 am

I've liked Lynyrd Skynyrd for so long but never really knew all the band members, or that Ed King co-wrote some of me favorite Skynyrd tunes. I was suprised however to learn that he was a founding member of (and lead guitarist for) Strawberry Alarm Clock! I really liked "Incense and Peppermints" growing up.

Sad stuff.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 am

I just watched " If I leave here Tomorrow " and Ed explains why he left the band. There was a very interesting group dynamic going on. The movie is one of the better music documentaries I have seen to date , I can't recommend it enough.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Dan, I just learned the Strawberry Alarm Clock connection as well. Incense and Peppermints always was a great sounding song to me.

glvourot, I will look for that movie, thanks! :thumbup:

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 am

My heart goes out to his family. Ed's son and I were shipmates in the Navy back in the late 1980s. He was a really nice guy.

Ken

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:16 am

sam wrote:Dan, I just learned the Strawberry Alarm Clock connection as well. Incense and Peppermints always was a great sounding song to me.

glvourot, I will look for that movie, thanks! :thumbup:

That movie, is a Showtime movie that just aired last week IIRC. It is a pretty good documentary of the band and all their iterations and happenings prior to that terrible day in 1977 when we lost a fair amount of the band in a plane crash. Too muck Smoke and too much coke, look what's going on inside you.