Any Phish fans?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:09 am

Saw Phish for the first time last weekend and generally pleased and impressed with Trey Anastasio's playing. Free tickets so it was easy to check them out. I get the Grateful Dead comparison but they remind me more of Frank Zappa. Many in the audience were "trying too hard to re-create Dead scene" IMHO. They were more jazz and fusion jam than the Dead. They play probably 80% instrumental and 20% vocal songs.

Trey is the only guitarist in the band and the dude covers a lot of ground in 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I got a kick out of them doing a cover of the old Hot Chocolate song "You Sexy Thing", took me back to my youth.

Any fans or those with opinions or song recommendations of the band?

Re: Any Phish fans?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 pm

sam wrote:Saw Phish for the first time last weekend and generally pleased and impressed with Trey Anastasio's playing. Free tickets so it was easy to check them out. I get the Grateful Dead comparison but they remind me more of Frank Zappa. Many in the audience were "trying too hard to re-create Dead scene" IMHO. They were more jazz and fusion jam than the Dead. They play probably 80% instrumental and 20% vocal songs.

Trey is the only guitarist in the band and the dude covers a lot of ground in 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I got a kick out of them doing a cover of the old Hot Chocolate song "You Sexy Thing", took me back to my youth.

Any fans or those with opinions or song recommendations of the band?

I have to say that although I've probably never heard them, I've been told several times that I look just like their guitar player. Maybe when my hair was longer...

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Big Phish fan here. One of the first bands I saw when we'd moved stateside.And that was 1998, when Billy Breathes, their best album IMO, was just out. Trey has always been one of my faves either in the band or doing his solo stuff. The Trey Anastasio Band playing the Paramount in 2005 is still one of my fave concerts. Can't believe it's that long ago already.

- Jos

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 pm

For a guy who has listened to the Dead, Zappa, Widespread Panic, Umphreys McGee and the Jam station on Sirrius radio can't say why I never listened to these guys. I actually saw the Friday and Sunday shows this weekend, both were very good. Trey is exceptional. I do recall he played with Phil Lesh on one of his "Phil and friends" tours.

Was listening to iTunes Radio today and they have a Phish Essentials section which seems to be all the songs with vocals. I may become a regular listener. Will listen to Billy Breathes all the way through, thanks for the recommendation.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:32 am

i haven't seen them live, just missed a chance though as they were in town this week, My son went and loved it.
i do like their "Hoist" album from '94. "Julius" the opener, and "Down with Disease" are favorites of mine.
Trey has a writing partner that has done alot of lyrics for them, making their songs more interesting.