Dead and Co. June show PICS UPDATED

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Hey all,

Saw Dead and Co. back in June but no time to post pics and give review of the show. (actually had time but was having picture posting problems, but flickr is working now so here goes).

I have been reluctant to go see the latest incarnation of the Grateful Dead because was not sure about John Mayer and based on early clips with him years ago just thought he was overplaying everyone. After seeing this show my opinion is truly changed. John does add some youthful enthusiasm but sits in with the band and jams right along. Read a recent article where Bob Weir thought John could continue the Dead band vibe for years on, I could see it.

Current line up includes original Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann, along with John Mayer, Oteil Burbridge on bass, and Jeff Chimenti on keys. Oteil is a damn fine bass player and sang Fire on the Mountain like he's been singing it forever. Jeff Chimenti almost looked like a younger Brent Mydland and hopefully will avoid the Grateful Dead keyboard player curse. ;)

I enjoyed the song choices, but my wife was looking for more hits like Friend of the devil, truckin, sugar magnolia, uncle john's band, plenty of good tunes for all.

Some pictures of the stage and some just of the side screen, because they were so clear on the monitor screen!

Bob on a Jaguar! Played a Strat most of the show. He also played a Fat Jimmy Amp. Any one here had experience with Fat Jimmy amps?

Set List:
SET I
Iko Iko
I need a miracle
Alabama getaway
Black throated wind
West LA fadeaway
Brown eyed woman
Lost sailor
Saint of circumstance

SET II
Here comes sunshine
Eyes of the world
Althea
Scarlett Begonias
Fire on the mountain
Drums
Space
All along the watchtower
Morning dew
Johnny B Goode

Will try and catch them again, they are mixing up the set each night and they are a tight band, recommend. :alright:
Last edited by sam on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Dead and Co. June show

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Hey Sam, pics are not showing up, at least on my feed...

Tom

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Sounds like a good show! That run of Eyes of the World thru Fire on the Mountain sounds great! They just played here in L.A. last weekend (Dodger Stadium), and I hear the show was great, but I didn't go... I was lucky to see them a bunch of times in the late 80s, early 90s, and those were some great shows! I especially remember New Years Eve, 1990 in Oakland. Thanks for the report!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Will see what I can do about pics tonight or tomorrow

cho - saw the set list for Dodgers stadium and looked like a great show

Re: Dead and Co. June show PICS UPDATED

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:22 pm

they're a good gig to catch. i've seen them 3 times in the last 2 years, and all great sets.
i download their sets from NUGS after the shows.
i'll be catching 3 sets of theirs at Lock'n Festival in Virginia, 8/23-27.
we rented an RV for the occasion.
Umphrey's will be there, also Tedeschi/Trucks, Toots and the Maytal's, etc.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:28 pm

John,

I would love to see them with Umphrey's McGee, be sure to post a report

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:09 am

Sam, thanks for the report and nice pix!! Glad you went and enjoyed. I caught two Bay Area shows before the Fourth, and enjoyed them quite a bit. I've seen one or two shows on each tour of theirs. I'm continually happy with John's clear love for the music and the bluesy style he often brings to some of the playing.

We're in the phase now where the music is living a life beyond the original players, and part of the ethos is to bring one's own style to the context. After these original guys are Dead & Gone (sorry, couldn't resist), players like John and many others will keep playing the music. Some will try to duplicate in great detail, others will go more loosely for the spirit.

I also saw Dark Star Orchestra a week before D&C, in what turned out to be an acoustic show rather than their usual M.O. of replicating a particular show. It was still cool, and allowed a mixing of all the eras of the Dead. They did a great job.

Likewise, I've been playing most of the past year in an acoustic quintet that's been playing the songs of the Dead's Reckoning live acoustic record front to back. We're not duplicating things exactly (nor could we!), but it's been a lot of fun, audiences are loving it, and it sounds good when I listen to the board mixes.

Cheers!

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 pm

tomanche wrote:

Likewise, I've been playing most of the past year in an acoustic quintet that's been playing the songs of the Dead's Reckoning live acoustic record front to back.

That album has such a nice mix, your audience is lucky to have you guys around. :clap:
Monkey and the Engineer has got to be a blast to play.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks, Elwood! [Insert Blushing emoticon here, if it exists...]

That song is a blast, On the Road Again is a blast, Dire Wolf... I love playing all of them. It took until recently, though, to figure out that Jerry was capoing on Rosalie McFall!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am

Gotta agree, monkey and engineer always a favorite from that time.

I do hope they keep the essence of the band going, many good experiences still coming with Dead and Co. and jam bands in general. Still have to see Dark Star Orchestra, always hear great reviews.

Still no comments on Fat Jimmy amps. Any experience out there with amps or cabinets?

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I had never heard of Fat Jimmy amps until last year, when Weir started using them. Interesting thing about his rig is that it is a stereo preamp to a stereo power amp to L&R speaker cabinets, for using stereo effects. More good info at Fat Jimmy's website: https://fatjimmyamps.com/bob-weir-custom/dead-company/

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm

more dead and co stuff:

LOCKN' festival at Arrington, Va, blue ridge mountains, lovely place. weather couldn't have been better.
a great 4 days of music, for sure. http://www.locknfestival.com/schedule

we saw dead and co Sat PM sets, pic and set list below. missed the sunday pm sets re: long drive back.
seemed almost like a dead "greatest hits" set, if there is such a thing.
Bob's voice ain't what it used to be, but he "fared well", seems to have hit his stride on the tour.
John M also seems comfortable with the material. No lyric sheets. he took alot of chances with his lead work , explored a bit. He nailed the diminished runs on "slipknot!" with more prowess than Jerry had since early to mid 70's.

They remain inspired and certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves. the graphics screens behind the band were well done, trippy and entertaining. equally impressive was the size of the crowd. I haven't seen numbers from the festival yet, but the place was jammed Saturday night for sure.

set 1:
Hell in a Bucket
Scarlet Begonias
Brown-Eyed Women
Ramble On Rose
Alabama Getaway
Cassidy
Deal

Set 2:
Help on the Way
Slipknot!
Fire on the Mountain
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Drums
Space
The Other One
Wharf Rat
Franklin's Tower

Encore:
The Weight
One More Saturday Night

here's a pic of umphrey's mcgee stage, their light show is very impressive.
so is their musical performance. Thurs pm sets were scorching/high energy.
Fri PM they teamed up with Jason Bonham and the 2nd half of their set was all Led Zep, notable for Song Remains the Same, and the closer: Whole lotta Love. Derek Trucks jammed on that one as well, used the slide very effectively!
Jake C was sporting a new red Legacy. He usually uses s500's and comanches with stock MFD's. I couldn't tell if his p'ups were subbed. If you haven't seen them live, just do it. They come around often. cheers, John O

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 pm

WOW! Thanks John, sounds like great shows by both Dead and Umphreys McGee. :happy0065:

Super set list as well. Did Oteil sing Fire on the Mtn? His voice nails that song.

Still have to see Umphreys but I understand they rip it up pretty well, what's yer impression?

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 am

Oteil did sing "fire on the mountain", well!
I saw a guy there with tee shirt: "Let Oteil Sing"
Umphrey's is playing a 4 night run at the Tabernacle 12/28-12/31.
You should catch one and drink the koolaid. Their shows are the best!