Stone Free Festival London vacation UPDATED

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 am

Was on vacation in England a couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to take my son to see one of his favorite bands. It was day one of the Stone Free Festival at the O2 Arena London, headliner bands were Buckcherry, Megadeth and Scorpions. Megadeth was the band my son has wanted to see, but I as told they rarely tour the US. He's a great son, excellent student and very talented musician. Straight A's for his high school freshman year so he was awarded concert tix.

Son outside O2, in the obligatory Alice Cooper shirt, a very impressive facility. Tons of restaurants, shops and music venues inside and surrounding the actual concert arena. Saw one band for a bit inside a side stage, didn't catch who they were. Outside saw Orange Goblin that reminded me of Rancid.

Image Image

Crappy pictures and seats were way better than the pictures make it look like, eight rows up from floor.

Buckcherry - good opener did not get a good crowd response however

Megadeth - was my favorite band of the night, shred metal but mix was great, playing was melodic to a degree. After a few hello London, glad to be here with no responses, Dave Mustaine said the best line I have heard at a show in a long time, "The voices in my head are louder than you people!" :lol: Unfortunately very true, a geriatric crowd sat in seats and the floor crowd had little enthusiasm.
Dave and Kiko Loureiro

Scorpions - Rudy Schenker in the middle still rockin away but they did not play Rock You Like a Hurricane or No One Like You, disappointing. London crowd must have different favorites. My son even looked at me at one point when they were on ballad #3 or 4, and said, "too many ballads". Jet lag caught up then and he was starting to fade. :yawn:

My wife and daughters were in the theatre district watching the play "Matilda" while we were at the show, we got the better deal! After a few days in London it was off to see wife's relatives around England. Great time and another show with my son. :sign0011:

Saw Dead and Co the week before with my wife which was very excellent, pics will be in another post.
Last edited by sam on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Stone Free Festival London vacation

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Hey Sam, pics are not showing up, at least on my feed...

Tom

Re: Stone Free Festival London vacation UPDATED

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm

cool pix, Sam
I don't listen to alot of metal ("but when i do...") i like megadeth.
I give "cryptic writings" a spin on occasion, Marty Friedman era. good stuff.
I think Dave Mustaine is the real deal, a great player and also a cool metal singer.
my oldest son turned me on to some of their earlier stuff, also tasty

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am

Sam,

Nice! Looks like a good time. And quite the lineup. Although I'd have to admit the Sunday schedule is more aligned with my tastes :lol:

Another friend of mine was just on that side of the pond the other day and saw Clapton, Santana, Winwood, and a few others. Not sure what that festival was called.

Enjoy,

Jeff

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am

Hey Jeff,

Day two would have been my first choice as well but could not swing two days. Had an appointment at Buckingham palace!

Clapton, Santana and Winwood would have been fun for sure.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Sam,

What a life! That sounds like a blast.

y2kc

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 am

Sam - posts like this make you a very easy guy to like.

I felt vicariously disappointed for you (and everyone there) that the crowd's lack of enthusiasm was so palpable it had to be addressed from the stage. Maybe it's cultural? One thing that is obvious from the photos - smart phones are now the default concert camera. Gone are the days when the band would come out, and the arena would come alive with random sparks of light where cameras flashed here and there. Now people just hold their phone up indefinitely. I am just observing the change, I make no judgment. ;)

Thanks for the post.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

Casey, yes it is a life for sure ;) Especially when I get to see the likes of the royals. At Madame Tussauds that is! The trip was fun.

Dan, Appreciate the sentiment. :cheers: We have similar feeling about smart phones and the detriment of a concert experience. I fall prey to some as well, but at this show I took two pictures of each band and put it away. People holding their phone up and recording long periods is annoying, most when they are right in front of you. Each to his/her own I guess.