More guitars or more amps plus T-60

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I should have posted this here. More guitars or more amps when looking for most variety of sounds for home recording and writing. Also I picked up a Peavey T-60 because of an earlier post here and they are amazing for the money. Great complement to my G&Ls !

Reilly

Re: More guitars or more amps plus T-60

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:53 pm

I am in the more amps for more sounds, as I tend to gravitate heavily to the comfiest guitar.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Rielly:

The T-60 is kind of a distant cousin to your G & Ls. Both have bi-cut necks.

Tom

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I'd go for more amps.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:09 am

I'm in the more amps camp but also amazed at how one amp can sound so much different with just a switch of cabs as it's the speaker that reaqlly can make a difference. I've got a 4X12 musuc man loaded with Eminance alnicos (old 70s cab and speakers) a 2X12 loaded with Celestion Gold alnicos, a carvin 4X10 with stock ceramic speakers and a Carvin 4X10 loaded with Celestion greenbacks (ceramic) and with only two heads, a Carvin vintage 50 watter and an Orange Tiny terror I get a hell of a tone selection. I also plug these into my fender Silverface bassman 10 for even more variety. And if thats not enough I just plug one of these combinations into the Line 6 POD for about a million other options!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I only owned more than one amp once when I had a 1955 Fender Twin (my main amp for a lotta years) and a late 50s Magnatone 260 (which I loved not only because it was a nice clean sounding amp but because Maggies had the best vibrato known to man). But I found I can get what I want out of most amps. I also pretty much stuck with no more than two electrics - one for regular playing and the other set up for slide.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:27 am

I guess if you have two guitars (one w/single coils and one w/humbuckers), the next step to tone variety would be more amps.
Just a quick assumption, though; I'm still into finding out as much as I can about amps.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:31 pm

And then you have to consider all your pedal and rack-mounted fx options, and whether each sits in front of or looped into the amp.

And in what order, etc., etc.,...

I get tired just thinking about all the possibilities sometimes....- ed