Super Champ XD

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Back on the first site there was some opinions on the Super Champ XD. I was hoping any here with one might chime in with opinion or insight. I do plan on changing the tubes and speaker if I go this route..

Reilly

Re: Super Champ XD

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:57 am

IMO they are decent utility amps that have about 2 good (cleanish) presets of the modeled sounds, the rest don't sound that great to me.

I would say they are best bought used, I paid $190 for mine and would not want to spend more than about $225 for one, but for what they are they're decent little amps. A speaker change might benefit, I'm not sure if any tube change would necessarily be that much better or not.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:12 pm

I got one used for 211 in great shape and I have a mullard 12ax7 and some 1960s 6v6s already in my tube pile to sub in. Also have an older Eminence Lil Buddy to swap in. Otherwise I would just plug in one of the 1x12 cabs I already use. Hopefully others will chime in. Thanks for the insight...

Reilly

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:35 pm

let us know if you try the older tubes ... I'll be interested to hear how they sound, these days some new circuits sound better with them & some don't so it's good to know which are which. ;)