View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Strings for MFD Pickups 

Post Strings for MFD Pickups
I have always just used D'Addario regular strings on my electrics and never really gave it a second thought. However this winter I started buying acoustic strings online in an effort to get better quality than what is available in Northern Michigan and this led to experimenting with electric strings as well. I have not got too far into trying different brands but I have already decided there are some better sounding options than the old "tried and true".
So, curious if anyone has any recommendations on strings to try? Particularly for your MFD equipped guitars?

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Post Re: Strings for MFD Pickups
I'm a big fan of D'Adarrio Xl 9's.

edg

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

I used D'Addario XL 10s for ages. A couple of years ago, I tried Pyramid Nickel Classics, which have a round core. They sound fantastic and last a heckuva long time---enough to make up for their higher price. Strings & Beyond has a good price on them, and an occasional sale.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:07 pm

tomanche wrote:
I used D'Addario XL 10s for ages. A couple of years ago, I tried Pyramid Nickel Classics, which have a round core. They sound fantastic and last a heckuva long time---enough to make up for their higher price. Strings & Beyond has a good price on them, and an occasional sale.

Pyramid seem to do quite well in the states. Based on reviews I tried their Nickle Classics on my old Asat with the wide MFDs but did not love the results; good through my Marshall but lots of top through my little Mesa. I did really like pure nickle on my Stratocaster and round core in general seems pretty cool. I tried DR on the Strat but may retry Pyramids.

I've got a set of chrome strings on hand to try- have never tried chrome.
I think they may go on the Skyhawk.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 pm

I don't favor Dadarrio. They don't ruin the experience or anything, but I prefer Ernie Ball Slinkies by far (& grab Cobalt Slinkies when they're available.)

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm

A few years back I spent hundreds of dollars on a string 'shootout' and came away from it with the following results:

Back in the day all the good American brands were winding or rebranding Mapes wire. You can now buy Mapes strings direct from the factory at a ridiculously good price. Good strings just like the good ol' days at the good ol' day price:

https://www.mapesstrings.com/guitar-strings/

I use other strings as well depending on the guitar:

Mangan strings on a few guitars, both pure nickel (hex core) as well as nickel plated. Mangan is using high quality wire (I suspect still Mapes).

Pyramid round core pure nickel on my Legacy. Pyramid makes killer strings if you can afford them.

EB Cobalt on my JP15 -- very nice strings

Elixir Optiweb on my Anderson Angel. I always hated Elixir strings until these came along. I would have never tried these but they ship on Andersons these days.

All the affordable stuff from the brands we grew up with switched to cheap Asian wire and the stuff is just terrible.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

It seems D'Addario still makes their strings in the states... I like John Pearse for my acoustic and was going to try their electric stings for my SG junior but now I want to try Mapes, thanks for the link. Always nice to know what's out there.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

ieso wrote:
A few years back I spent hundreds of dollars on a string 'shootout' and came away from it with the following results:

Back in the day all the good American brands were winding or rebranding Mapes wire. You can now buy Mapes strings direct from the factory at a ridiculously good price. Good strings just like the good ol' days at the good ol' day price:

https://www.mapesstrings.com/guitar-strings/

I use other strings as well depending on the guitar:

Mangan strings on a few guitars, both pure nickel (hex core) as well as nickel plated. Mangan is using high quality wire (I suspect still Mapes).

Pyramid round core pure nickel on my Legacy. Pyramid makes killer strings if you can afford them.

EB Cobalt on my JP15 -- very nice strings

Elixir Optiweb on my Anderson Angel. I always hated Elixir strings until these came along. I would have never tried these but they ship on Andersons these days.

All the affordable stuff from the brands we grew up with switched to cheap Asian wire and the stuff is just terrible.

I am in the middle of a similar experiment right now. I'm getting good deals at the moment so I've tried some pretty expensive sets including Optima gold which are quite nice and a different tone. Unfortunately the place I'm getting strings does not supply Mapes. I have liked the Pyramids I tried but didn't swoon over them.
Favorite acoustic set so far were Newtones but I also liked a Dogal set. Dogal carbon steels sound really good on the old Asat.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am

glvourot wrote:
It seems D'Addario still makes their strings in the states... I like John Pearse for my acoustic and was going to try their electric stings for my SG junior but now I want to try Mapes, thanks for the link. Always nice to know what's out there.

I have a Pearse set at home that'll go on the acoustic next.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 am

I like ernie ball over daddario. prefer the feel of the slinkies but the difference isn't huge. I found that a set of 10-38s were pretty fun on a tribute Comanche through a blackstar ht-20. I've tried pure nickel and the regular nickel wound on an sc-2 and there's a trade off. pure nickel dampened the tone slightly, but also decreased output and had a stiffer feel imo. I was trying to find something that would beef up output but also tame some of the ice pick highs and didn't really find anything yet, so I stick to ernie ball nickel wound.

as an aside - and I haven't done a ton of research on this - but I think most string makers make them here in the states. probably not cost effective to make them overseas and ship them. but I could be wrong.

http://thekickups.bandcamp.com

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:32 am
Profile WWW

'affordable' strings now use wire manufactured in Asia and are wound here in the States. If you're paying more than $6 per set you're probably buying strings made from American or European wire.

Try this: buy a new set of EB Slinkys and a set of Mangan (he used to work for EB and is just making them like they used to) and compare the difference.

On a slightly different topic, I was on the Sweetwater site not too long ago and they offered to sell me a set of strings with interest-free financing for 4 years. :banana:

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:38 am

mikemjr12 wrote:
I like ernie ball over daddario. prefer the feel of the slinkies but the difference isn't huge. I found that a set of 10-38s were pretty fun on a tribute Comanche through a blackstar ht-20. I've tried pure nickel and the regular nickel wound on an sc-2 and there's a trade off. pure nickel dampened the tone slightly, but also decreased output and had a stiffer feel imo. I was trying to find something that would beef up output but also tame some of the ice pick highs and didn't really find anything yet, so I stick to ernie ball nickel wound.

as an aside - and I haven't done a ton of research on this - but I think most string makers make them here in the states. probably not cost effective to make them overseas and ship them. but I could be wrong.

You might want to try the Dogal set I mentioned on your SC2.
They are described as warmer than nickle but higher output. I think they sound very good with the wide MFDs on my Asat.
Google "Dogal Carbon Steel Electric Guitar Strings" and check it out.
Granted about ten bucks a set but they might be what your looking for.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks for the tip, Mutts. I'll have to look into them. Price doesn't matter too much since I rotate guitars and only change strings every other month or so.

http://thekickups.bandcamp.com

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 am
Profile WWW

On my MFD equiped S-500 I use GHS Burnished Nickle Rockers as the guitar has way more high end than I will ever need. I ereally like the way they sound on it. My other 25/5 axe uses D'Addario XL 110.5s ( half step flat tuned) and my 25 scale main axe uses GHS Boomers 10.5 - 48. Before I switched to Burnished Nickle Rockers on my G&L, I'd have my Treble knob hardly on before their was too much high, now its dialed to about 4 and perfect.

Thu May 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Darth Weller wrote:
On my MFD equiped S-500 I use GHS Burnished Nickle Rockers as the guitar has way more high end than I will ever need. I ereally like the way they sound on it. My other 25/5 axe uses D'Addario XL 110.5s ( half step flat tuned) and my 25 scale main axe uses GHS Boomers 10.5 - 48. Before I switched to Burnished Nickle Rockers on my G&L, I'd have my Treble knob hardly on before their was too much high, now its dialed to about 4 and perfect.

Funny, I just bought a set yesterday. First set of GHS in about 35 years. I'm not sure what guitar I'll put them on yet but I am curious what burnished strings are like.

Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 am

On a slightly different topic, I was on the Sweetwater site not too long ago and they offered to sell me a set of strings with interest-free financing for 4 years. :banana:[/quote]

I was there looking for a new strap for my Fullerton Deluxe and saw the same offer.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Just put a set of Mapes 10’s on my S500 and really enjoying the tone.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Yeah, I almost bought some strings on Sweetwater for 13 cents per month just for a laugh. :happy0007:

Glad to hear you're diggin' the Mapes strings.....buy Mapes or by another brand of Mapes for a couple dollars more :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]