iK Multimedia iStomp

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Hey all,

anyone have any input on the iRig and iStomp guitar processors from iK Multimedia? Here's a link to the iStomp box.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstompio/

This is their full blown interface that connects to anything and allows for use of software such as AmpliTube and Vocal Live as well as other downloadable sound software. The iRig lets you create a virtual FX board plus direct to a console and the iStomp lets you create an entire peddle board on an iPad etc. and a host of other options. Too much info to put up on here but check out the link and let us know what you think, especially if you use one of these products.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: iK Multimedia iStomp

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:33 am

I do have an iRig (but not this stomp thing). I bought it to interface with my iPhone so that I could use Peterson's iStroboSoft app to tune my guitar via the cable, rather than my iPhone's built in mic. As far as that goes, my iRig rocks.

I didn't find the sound quality of the Amplitude app all that promising, and the buy-in to their pedal/amp ecosystem struck me as grossly out of step with how I (personally) intended to use the application (had it been bearable to my thinking to do so).

I keep my iRig in my case, and pull it out only when I need to tune - other than that, I have had no other use for it. Even though I bought the amplitude app, and played around with it on my phone when I first got it - the gimmick just wasn't catchy enough to snag my attention for long.

Having said that - by way of introducing my pre-existing bias - I don't think I'd want to use something like that even if I thought that both the sound quality was great and the proprietary ecosystem was reasonable.

I just don't like the idea of putting something that is both fragile and expensive (like my smartphone) in the vicinity of my feet when I am playing. There is also the fact that I use my phone for this purpose - which means my software "effects rack" may notify me (and everyone else) of an incoming text while I'm playing.

I can see it being a great interface for someone who is already enamored with the product - but I don't think I'd like it personally.

That's my unvarnished opinion. I don't use the amplitude app enough to warrant an i/o interface for it - and if I did have such an i/o interface - it wouldn't entice me to use the app any more than I do already (So far I am averaging about 15 minutes of use annually).

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Dan, good points, especially the one about the phone ringing while playing. I's sure you can avoid that but you might forget too. I would use my iPad for that purpose if I choose to go in that direction. I did buy the regular iRig 2 to interface with my phone for tuning and perhaps input direct into my computers. Not sure if it comes with the Peterson software but I will figure out what I need when I get it. I could use a new tuner, so I'll probably use that since I always have my phone with me.

About the sound quality, is it the Amplitude software not sampling fast enough or the effects programs cheese and cheep sounding. I have found that software "Effects peddles" leave me wanting more and sounding too synthesized. Good old hardware can't be beat.

Thanks again, I have already decided to stay away from the stomp thing, mostly due to it's price, but wanted to hear other's experiences.

Tom

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:27 pm

FZTNT wrote:Thanks Dan, good points, especially the one about the phone ringing while playing. I's sure you can avoid that but you might forget too. I would use my iPad for that purpose if I choose to go in that direction. I did buy the regular iRig 2 to interface with my phone for tuning and perhaps input direct into my computers. Not sure if it comes with the Peterson software but I will figure out what I need when I get it. I could use a new tuner, so I'll probably use that since I always have my phone with me.

About the sound quality, is it the Amplitude software not sampling fast enough or the effects programs cheese and cheep sounding. I have found that software "Effects peddles" leave me wanting more and sounding too synthesized. Good old hardware can't be beat.

Thanks again, I have already decided to stay away from the stomp thing, mostly due to it's price, but wanted to hear other's experiences.

Tom

I think it is as you suggest - ... just a less than perfect emulation. It's great for some things? ... like goofing around on your phone - but I can't see myself ever using Amplitude instead of a real set up. To me Amplitude will always be just a cool toy.