Band's CD Released! G&L featured!

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:45 pm

The band I’ve been in for the past 5+ years, The Ragged Dragoons, just released its second CD, Under Water Over Ground. Six of the nine tracks feature either my G&L ASAT Jr. or Comanche Studio VI. We are proud of these tunes and the recording, and I don’t say that easily.

Here’s a link to the second track, “Floodrush,” on Soundcloud. This tune I played on my ASAT Jr. I'm on rhythm, in the right channel.

Hope you give a listen, and any feedback is welcome!

All the songs are available as downloads and CDs at CDBaby, Amazon. Songs also on iTunes. (Our first eponymous CD is at all these fine vendors, too!)

Cheers!
Tom

Re: Band's CD Released! G&L featured!

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 am

Great tune Tom. Good riffs, been humming it this morning.

One of the frequent criticism leveled against the Comanche VI is how hard it is to find a good sound with all these separate switches. So if you have made notes or remember, what pickup combinations and settings did you use while recording? And for what reason? I'm just very curious what your experience of recording with that model have been.

- Jos

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey Tom,

Great job! :happy0065:

I dig the genre, look forward to hearing the rest of your release. Your playing is super clean and the Jr fits the whole vibe.

What amp are you running into, or straight into the board?

Rock on!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Thank you both for listening! I really appreciate your comments, and glad that you dig it!

Jos,
I mostly use my Comanche VI like a regular-switching Comanche. On "Huddled in the Dovecote," I used the bridge+middle. On "Matterhorn," I used the neck+middle. The main non-standard combo I use (not on the recording) is the "double-duck": bass coils of the neck+middle and the treble coils of bridge+middle. It gives that funky low end with the sparkly high end. I've used the bass coil bridge plus the treble coil middle for a more noisy single coil sound, when my former cover band would play Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good." I liked how it sounded. :? I've only had one opportunity to compare the VI to a late-model V, but can't say for certain that the VI is sweeter from the parallel wiring...but I believe it's true. ;) I do love how the Z-coils maintain so much clarity with effects; I consider a large part of my role in the Dragoons is providing color. I partly take inspiration from Umphrey's McGee, where both Jake and Brendan switch in different effects for different portions of a tune. Keeps it fresh and interesting. Their tunes have many different sections, and the Dragoons are often that way.

Sam,
I'm running into my beloved Electroplex Rocket 50. (See http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10592&hilit=New+amp+makes+comanche+sound+old.) A cross between Bassman and JTM 45. Often switching between the clean and dirty channels for our songs, though I sometimes used dirt boxes. We recorded the songs live (without vocals) in one room to capture that energy. Then guitar extras, vocals, harmonies, trumpet, fiddle, keys, were added later and at different places. We did little if any direct into board (unlike the first CD).

I hope you check out the rest of the tunes. This band has been far and away the most fun I've had playing music, and these guys are good people on top of it!

Cheers,
Tom