For Beatles Sgt. Peppers album fans ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Check out this YouTube video:
Sgt Pepper 50 year later; Live in Concert; 20170602 The Analogues

phpBB [video]

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Re: For Beatles Sgt. Peppers album fans ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 am

They are pretty good!

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am

One of the things The Analogues try to do is get the 'original' instrument used on the recording. And at times it is pretty hard to find one in good condition.

One of the funny things watching this vid was that the guitar player on the left (shown in the still in the OPl) and the bass player looked very familiar. Well, turns out I saw Jan van der Meij and Bart van Poppel, respectively, play live in my teenage years in the early 80s.

But my goodness, what a great version of Day In The Life.

- Jos

P.S. I'm also reminded of a remark you'd find on all early Queen albums: No synthesizers were used in the making of tis recording.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Great Performance, Thanks for posting Craig. Along with the likes of what Jos said, I always tried to cover songs as closely as the original as possible. Had many a fight with band mates about changing songs to put their "spin" on it. Right down to the fact that as a band, we never did too many Beatle covers cause the bass player was not a very good vocalist and for some reason (OCD) it just didn't work for me. Another cool thing about Beatle's songs is that the main instrument is the bass. If you listen to almost any song you will hear the bass above all else. Not a surprise considering the leader and writer was the bass player, but you'll never listen to another Beatle's song the same way ever again.

The Beatles where one of my first real musical influences. As a child I lived just up the street from John and Ringo and had met George as well because he was usually hanging around outside his house a couple towns over near where a friend lived. I had met Paul several times but not as much as the others as he always lived in London and I didn't get into the city very much cause I was usually with my parents on such trips or just passing through the train station on the way to other places. You must realize that traveling from London to Paris is no different than say, DC to Atlanta. Except for the customs but they mostly left the kids alone back then. Jos, I bet you know what I'm talking about when it comes to traveling around Europe.

Thanks again for a great rendition of this awesome album Craig.

Tom

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:30 pm

I noticed the bass in Beatles songs ages ago. It not only demonstrated what a good bassist Paul is but that they mixed their songs really well. Here is a cool isolated track that I came across recently that you guys might enjoy, if anything it will make you go and grab a guitar.
phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 am

The Beatles are my all time favorite band and song writer! A few months ago I bought the re-mastered Sgt Peppers edition with the booklet, 3-D cover, and several CDs in the package. The band I'm with plays 2 Beatles covers: "Come Together" and "Hey Bulldog."

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

glvourot wrote:I noticed the bass in Beatles songs ages ago. It not only demonstrated what a good bassist Paul is but that they mixed their songs really well. Here is a cool isolated track that I came across recently that you guys might enjoy, if anything it will make you go and grab a guitar.
phpBB [video]

That's very cool Paul. Thanks for posting it. Do you know how I can save it as a .wav or similar audio file so that I can turn a certain part of the horn section into a ring tone. There is a place that would make a great ring tone and nobody would ever figure out what it is. I should know this but I am working on a Mac and am not too familiar with it's processes.

Thanks again,

Tom

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Tom, I've determined that the video is on YouTube. Google "YouTube to MP3" and you will find webpages that, given the YouTube link to the video, will create an MP3 file you can download to your computer. Once you have the file you can use something like Audacity to extract the section you need and make a short MP3 file to use as your ringtone, unless ringtones are some other audio format.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks Kit. I'm not sure what format ringtones are. It used to be a real simple process once you have the MP3. My phone is an iPhone so nothing is simple but I will poke around and see what I can find.

Tom

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm

I too have an iPhone. I used to be able, on my mac, to open garage band, import a song from my library, and then snip the part I wanted as a ringtone, and export that. I haven't done that it a few years, I wonder if you can still do that.