Reverb or Delay Pedal?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 pm

I am looking to add some reverb to a non-reverb Fender amp so the question is, those of you who have experience with both delay and a reverb pedal what ya say:

Tweak the delay or go for something like a TC Hall of Fame?

All suggestions welcome

Some good Duane Eddy reverb is a beautiful thing.

Re: Reverb or Delay Pedal?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:39 pm

I am no expert on delay or reverb but my Swart has reverb and tremolo built-in. On the Duane Eddy tune, Rebel Rouser is heavy on both tremolo and reverb. On Peter Gunn it sounds like just heavy reverb to me. On my setup I have a separate echo unit, and that gives me a delay effect on the very few songs that I like such an effect. In my experience, delay and tremolo don't mix very well most of the time.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Kit,

I agree on the use of both being tricky. I am trying to see if there is a good delay set up that will get close to the reverb sound, or if better to just get a reverb pedal. This is for a couple of Fender amps with no reverb.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Just ran through a BBE Two Timer and a TC Flashback into a Vibro Champ and easily got nice reverb without too much delay. Have another non reverb Fender I hope to trade for tomorrow so will not be in a big rush to get a reverb pedal. No need for big hall sound right now. Not to say a verb specific pedal won't come someday but these could do the trick. :thumbup:

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Glad you’ve got a home-brewed solution, Sam.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 am

Don't know much about this subject but saw you are using a vibe champ. That is one of my favorite living room amps. I have discovered that I get the sound in my head by turning the tone knobs all the way down and turning the amp up all the way using the clean input. Low volume but very authentic blues tones. Tone is controlled on the guitar ( G&L nighthawk or Heritage H-140 at the moment) and fun is had.

Great low wattage amps

y2kc

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:50 pm

The Strymon El Cap is a tape delay emulation but it packs in spring reverb thing as well as modulation and has a little boost ability as well. It's an amazing pedal.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Kit, Casey, ieso

Just catching up on GLDP.

Kit, ya know when ya find something that works at the time it's a good thing. Not to say won't try a pedal sometime but for this purpose all is good.

Casey, I have been re-discovering what a wonder this Vibro Champ is. Gotta try yer knob suggestion and get some blues tones rolling.

ieso, I recall reading RAVE reviews on the Strymon El Cap just have not had a chance to try one. Also recall they ain't cheap, so after Christmas expenses and some upcoming Valentines and an upcoming birthday expenses this will have to wait.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 pm

FWIW

I have a Dr Z " Z-VERB" tube spring reverb unit, it sounds amazing & I like it a lot

those Strymon pedals are highly regarded though