Ebay question - item location

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 pm

I have a question about ebay. I used to live in the US but now I live in Australia. We have ebay here too, but the websites are different (ebay.com.au rather than ebay.com). My recollection from when I lived in the US was that you could search for items within a certain distance of your location. You can still do that here (search withing a distance of a particular post code). I'm headed back to the US for a trip so I wanted to see what might be available on ebay close to where I will be. However, I can't get the search by item location option to do anything. If I log in to the US site and search, then go to the "item location" tab, it say "no fllters available". Does that no longer work, or is it not working for me because it recognises that I am not currently in the US? Thanks. I might try to write ebay too, but though I might get an answer here (and of course my search will probably be related to G&L).

Re: Ebay question - item location

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm not sure how it works.

Here's a link with item location set 50 miles from a zip code in the US,
does that work? ...maybe you can modify the search from that if it does.

Link

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Elwood wrote:I'm not sure how it works.

Here's a link with item location set 50 miles from a zip code in the US,
does that work? ...maybe you can modify the search from that if it does.

Link

Thanks for trying and for sending that. When I open the link, it says its a search for 50 miles from 5000, which is the post code for downtown Adelaide, South Australia. So obviously, my location is affecting the search process, and I can't change it to anything in the US. I'll keep looking into it, or maybe I'll just search when I get there. Thanks again for trying to help.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:01 am

I wonder if someone on the forum that is in the vicinity of where you are going to be can do the search for you and send the link for the results?

Tom

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm

FZTNT wrote:I wonder if someone on the forum that is in the vicinity of where you are going to be can do the search for you and send the link for the results?

Tom

Thanks, but when Elwood sent me the link, all of the results disappeared and the location was reset to my own. I will be there for a couple weeks, so hopefully I'll have time to look when I get there.

David

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:49 am

Have you tried using a US based VPN, or a going through a US based proxy server to access eBay.com?

That might be one avenue.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:00 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:Have you tried using a US based VPN, or a going through a US based proxy server to access eBay.com?

That might be one avenue.

Not yet, but I was thinking about that, or using one of those programs that blocks your location. Thanks. David

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 pm

In case anyone else cares about this, I've now been in touch with ebay customer service. The problem is the fact that my account is registered with an Australian address and my account is officially listed as Australian. To address this, the person first said I should change my account to one with a US address, but the simpler solution seems to be for me to open an account with a US address. So it wasn't a function of where I actually am, but just how my account is set up, so even if I searched with my current account from within the US, it wouldn't have allowed me to filter for US locations.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 am

David, Thanks for sharing the solution for that.