Roland GP8

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi guys. I have one old amp that basically has very little overdrive and am considering for the first time an analogue pedal to fix that. As you might know from previous posts that collect-ability and value, together with performance are always criteria that i like to satisfy, i dont have a lot of money these days, :) With that in mind i am considering the 1987 Roland GP8 that for its price seems to give me a vintage chain of Boss effect pedals in one package for a very reasonable price. Some google sites say the overdrive is horrible, some say its great, does anyone here have experience with this device who could advise if its worth buying. This one has a huge multi footswitch with it as well.
Cheers Geoff

Re: Roland GP8

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:25 am

I don't have any experience with a GP-8. However, if you want to stick with Roland/Boss you can't go wrong with this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50

There is a 590 page and counting Katana thread at the GearPage https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.1744135/. These were going for $199, the price must have went up recently. You have access to 55 boss effects when you use Boss Tone Studio. You can dial in great tones without ever using the software if you so choose . As far as value is concerned , its hard to beat.
There are many great sounding overdrive/distortion boost options that sound great with the clean channel. So many great options that it would take me way to long to describe them. I own the Katana 100 combo and am very happy with it.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 am

Thanks for your reply glvourot.
I cant believe the coincidence though, by chance I asked a friend if he had any old pedals he was prepared to sell and he mentioned the GP8. He has only considered selling it to put the money toward the exact amp you mentioned, the Boss Katana. That amp is considerably more expensive in OZ than the 200 odd dollars it costs in the US of A though. He no longer plays in a band so home use is his goal now and believes the Katana suits the bill perfectly. I don’t really need another amp at the moment though, as mentioned earlier in another thread I already have a problem with AAS, should admit myself to AMPS anonymous soon I think, lol, probably run into Elwood there im thinking, how is the JCM by the way Elwood, :) lol.. We chatted today and the deal is done though I won’t be able to pick it up till next week. Im quite looking forward to plugging it into the front end of the amps I have and wondering if there is a combination that just hits the spot so to speak. Fun I think for sure and always learning, its truly a journey isn’t it, :D ,
Cheers all Geoff

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 am

geoff douglas wrote: as mentioned earlier in another thread I already have a problem with AAS, should admit myself to AMPS anonymous soon I think, lol, probably run into Elwood there im thinking, how is the JCM by the way Elwood, :) lol..

I'll get to the next meeting, I swear (as I take off the opti-visor and puts down the soldering iron).
I'm just about to get back to the amp thread with some new pics of old amps.
I've never used the GP-8, but I bet you'll find at least a few sounds that will satisfy.

Have you looked at the cheap chinese tube screamer knock-offs? Some sound pretty good considering they are
dirt cheap. I'll list some links if it sparks your interest.

(puts on the opti-visor and re-tins the soldering tip) :searching:
cheers!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:38 am

lol, Looking forward to seeing you there mate and also the new amp pics too,, :)
No need for the pedal links yet thanks Elwood, Im tied up learning about this damn Katana now, tempted to go look at one even though I , wait, no no, take a tablet Geoff, lol , damn AAS ,, :?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:57 am

Sorry Geoff, I forgot you lived in Australia. There is a price premium in Canada as well , though probably not as severe. For kicks you should read the manual online. Its almost worth it just for all the " pedals " that come with it. The latest firmware added a global EQ so you can voice the Katana pretty much however you want if desired.

Paul

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 am

Thanks Paul. I have read up on the Katana a fair bit now, quite impressive for the money too. I'm looking forward to listening to it in the flesh, it could just change my thoughts about modeling amps. :shocked028:
Cheers G

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 am

oh my goodness gracious me,, I picked the GP-8 up 4 days ago, tested it with some way better players than me in those days too, and what can i say. WOW, The GP-8 feeding an on edge valve amp, with the variety of tones it does so musically, just beautiful to my ears,, I think its the 80s tone machine iv'e been looking for all these years. A convert to pedals i think even though its a rack, :crazy: if one comes your way i can only say,, get it and have a listen ,, i think you will like it,, :D

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 am

Great News!