RIP Tom Petty

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:40 am

It seems gauche to me to make mention of the passing of Tom Petty in the wake of the recent and devastating violence committed in Vegas. My wrung out heart and earnest prayers go out to the many families directly and indirectly affected by that act of senseless evil. What is wrong with this generation?

Nevertheless, buried beneath the avalanche of media coverage was the news yesterday that Tom Petty had passed away. At first it was uncertain whether or not Tom had survived the heart attack, or not, as the media was mono-focused on a much larger, and far more tragic story. What few reports came in were muddled, uncertain, and contradicted one another.

This morning however it became clear that Tom Petty had indeed passed away. He was one of my favourite song writers, and such a soulful player.

Someone online wryly quipped in the mayhem, when it seemed the rumors of his demise were misplaced, that Petty had stood up at the gates of hell, and refused to back down. I hoped that was the case.

Listening to this right now.

phpBB [video]

Pray for his family, and again for those in the wake of Sunday night's violence.

Re: RIP Tom Petty

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:05 am

What he said ^^^^^

Sad day for sure all around. Saw Tom Petty a few times over the years and he never disappointed. He will be missed.

RIP Tom

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 am

Ditto ^^^^^^

Thomas Earl Petty will be dearly missed.

- Jos

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Tom P was a great rocker and a great songwriter.
audiences love his songs...when they are well performed.
He loved excellent guitars.
Last time I saw him, he and Mike Campbell both played the same guitar on any given song.
They must have gone through 10 guitars a piece.
Steve Winwood opened for them playing mostly old Traffic tunes.
They invited Steve back out to the stage during their set, and did Dear Mr. Fantasy.
That was epic. Tom was epic.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 am

Very sad news indeed. 66 seems so young too.
It's amazing how consistently good his work was thru the years. What a catalog of great material he and the band produced.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 am

" Your gonna get it " was one of the albums I played from my brothers collection when he wasn't home. I really liked " I need to know " when I was eight . I was always super careful with his turntable. God help me if I scratched any of his records. Tom put out some great music, I am very thankful.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm

glvourot wrote:" Your gonna get it " was one of the albums I played from my brothers collection when he wasn't home. I really liked " I need to know " when I was eight . I was always super careful with his turntable. God help me if I scratched any of his records. Tom put out some great music, I am very thankful.

my first petty album was damn the torpedoes, great stuff.
"i need to know" is frequently on our set lists as well, great rock song!

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 pm

What Dan said ^^^.

I last saw TP and the HB's in 2005.

RIP Tom.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 am

I regret never having seen him live. I was introduced to the band by my cousin back in 83 or 84, who bought the album "Damn the Torpedoes" because the song "Refugee" was getting a lot of air play that summer. We listened to that album over and over again. I didn't play guitar yet, so we did a lot of "air band" at the time.

Good times.

Petty was one of those guys who wasn't just a great player; he was a great songwriter. These by themselves would have made me a fan, but on top of that, he was genuine - and that sincerity came through in his playing, songwriting, in interviews, and heck! even by the way he dressed like a normal person at a time when the industry was all about spandex and hairspray.