We lost Glen Campbell today

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Ken...

Re: We lost Glen Campbell today

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm

So sad. Glen was a great artist and by far the best interpreter of Jimmy Webb songs. Although he had not been "there" for a while now, he will be sorely missed. If these walls could speak ...

- Jos

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am

A picture of Glen playing his G&L Comanche was featured in his obit on the front page of the print version of today's Seattle Times. Not often you see an obit on the front page, Tells you the impact of this man on American culture.

- Jos

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:A picture of Glen playing his G&L Comanche was featured in his obit on the front page of the print version of today's Seattle Times. Not often you see an obit on the front page, Tells you the impact of this man on American culture.

- Jos

Saw that and reposted on my FB page. Rest In Peace kind sir!

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 am

Here's the photo G&L posted on their Facebook page yesterday:

Rest in Peace, Mr. Campbell.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Came across this interview the other day and found it both very informative about Glen Campbell but even more about the relationship he had with another of my favorite music heroes Alice Cooper. The interview was done the day Glen died. Here is a short bit but the entire interview is very good, and pretty funny in a couple of spots.

Cooper said Campbell was more than just a country singer.

"The respect he had in the Rock n' Roll world," said Cooper. "People like Eddie Van Halen one time said, 'could you get me a guitar lesson with Glen?' and most rockers would go 'What?' That's the kind of guitar player he was."

For over two decades, Cooper and Campbell were the best of friends. They were golfing buddies, as well as music buddies. Campbell played several of Cooper's Christmas Pudding fundraiser shows.

It was also there that Cooper started to notice the effects Alzheimer's had of Campbell.

Also, if you haven't seen "The Wrecking Crew" about the greatest group of session musicians assembled, which Glen Campbell was one, look it up see it you will be surprised at what a respected and talented dude he was.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 am

Great interview. thanks for posting that.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 am

When I was (very) young, I got tickets to see a taping of "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" in Los Angeles.
Guest was Tony Bennett!

Glen warmed up the audience before the taping started, and he was one of the funniest, most personable entertainers I have ever seen to date.
He told jokes, a couple of which were hilariously off-color, and his performance numbers were live, with the band in a separate room, off-stage & off- camera.
He was the real deal; his guitar playing was immense. In his prime, as a Singer, Guitarist and over-all entertainer, I can't think of anyone who compares, and it was totally obvious that he was a down-to-earth, loving Human Being.

So sad, his alzheimers and ultimate demise. I'll miss him along with millions of fans.

RIP Mr. Glen Campbell.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Just saw, The movie "I'll Be Me". Something different has happened, I always knew Glen Campbell is/was a badass. It is something that you just know, kind of like how you know Roy Clark or Chet Atkins are badasses. There are some musicians who seem to transcend the role of musician, Sir Midge Ure or Eric Clapton come to mind. As with prominent musicians, we often make associations with them. Johnny Cash and David Sanborn alway wore black. Willie Nelson Plays/Played 'Trigger', Eric Clapton had 'Blackie', David Gilmour and his red Straocaster w/EMG's, Stevie Ray Vaughn and SRV Etc. Etc. Etc. We make these associations and right or wrong they become part of the identity we recognize as being the legend of these musicians.

Well Today, I had to make another association. While in reality Glen spent more time playing Ovations than just about any other guitar. (so far as I am aware) From now on in my mind, any blue, hardtail, maple fretboard, Comanche will be known as the Glen Campbell model.

That is all.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Aetrox wrote:Just saw, The movie "I'll Be Me". Something different has happened, I always knew Glen Campbell is/was a badass. It is something that you just know, kind of like how you know Roy Clark or Chet Atkins are badasses. There are some musicians who seem to transcend the role of musician, Sir Midge Ure or Eric Clapton come to mind. As with prominent musicians, we often make associations with them. Johnny Cash and David Sanborn alway wore black. Willie Nelson Plays/Played 'Trigger', Eric Clapton had 'Blackie', David Gilmour and his red Straocaster w/EMG's, Stevie Ray Vaughn and SRV Etc. Etc. Etc. We make these associations and right or wrong they become part of the identity we recognize as being the legend of these musicians.

Well Today, I had to make another association. While in reality Glen spent more time playing Ovations than just about any other guitar. (so far as I am aware) From now on in my mind, any blue, hardtail, maple fretboard, Comanche will be known as the Glen Campbell model.

That is all.

+1

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I know he played a Comanche but it seems that he also played a Commemorative edition ASAT. Just now I saw a picture of him on stage with it on a Biography .