Summer Concert Package

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Saw one of the summer concert packages this weekend and a good time was had by all. Styx (headlined), REO Speedwagon and Don Felder. If you like these bands, worth the time to see and some venues have tix very cheap online. (first time posting Flickr, need to learn how to adjust picture size)

Styx was promoting their new album "The Mission" which they reported was #6 on the classic rock charts. They played three new tunes which were good ol' Styx sound. Tommy Shaw was great to watch play. He sat in with Don Felder and played banjo on Take it Easy (I believe that was the one)
Gone, Gone, Gone - new song
Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Lady
Light Up
Radio Silence - new song
Miss America
Crystal Ball
Fooling Yourself
Too Much Time on My Hands
Khedive - new song
Bohemian Rhapsody - reprise
Golden Slumbers - reprise
Come Sail Away
Encore:
Rockin' the Paradise
Renegade

REO was into their set but Kevin Cronin's voice was little thinner than I expected. Did not take away from enjoying their show.
Don't Let Him Go
Keep Pushin' On
Can't Fight This Feeling
Tough Guys
Building the Bridge
Take It on the Run
Time for Me to Fly
Back on the Road Again
Ridin' the Storm Out
Encore:
Keep On Loving You
Roll With the Changes

Don Felder was truly into his performance and sounded like the old Eagles voice. A guy sitting near me said he saw this show two years ago with 38 Special instead of REO and Felder was just phoning it in, but noticeably better this show. The B52's guitarist is with him, see tele on the right.
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)
Seven Bridges Road
Witchy Woman
The Long Run
Take It Easy
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Hotel California

View from the audience when Styx said, "Since we can't hold up a Bic lighter, everyone put your phone on flashlight!" (gone are the days :x )

Lot of gray hairs in the audience and on the stage... :elguitar054:

Re: Summer Concert Package

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 am

Hope that tour comes my way.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 am

Haha the bic lighter statement killed me... let's put helmet and pads on the kids, huh... but well, I guess it's for the best - at least they didn't took their phones to watch the show through their screens, like they all do now. Got to watch them out, looks really promising!

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 pm

That sounds like a great show. It's nice to hear about acts still giving it their all.

Crusher wrote:but well, I guess it's for the best - at least they didn't took their phones to watch the show through their screens, like they all do now.

I took my kids to a show at a VERY small venue in DC last month. We were standing about five feet from the stage, which was maybe a foot above the floor level. Anyway, three 20-something women right in front of us were completely engrossed in their phones during the opening act. After a few minutes of dirty looks from the singer/guitarist she paused in the middle of a song, hit the same chord over and over, and stared at the women until they put their phones away. From where I was standing, it seemed like the audience got quite a kick out of that.

Ken

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 am

looks like a night of great music.
renegade, and miss america are my personal favorites from the styx show.
joe walsh always got credit for the guitar solo in Eagles' hotel california, but Don Felder crafted most of that brilliance

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:44 am

KenC wrote:After a few minutes of dirty looks from the singer/guitarist she paused in the middle of a song, hit the same chord over and over, and stared at the women until they put their phones away. From where I was standing, it seemed like the audience got quite a kick out of that.

Hahaha! They were in for a surprise!

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:20 pm

you guys are right on all points. Dan, hopefully they will head yer way. Crusher, the Bic lighter part was amusing to me as well, and I wonder how we all survived. Ken, I would have loved to see the repeating chord. That is just poetic justice if there ever was. Or was that public shaming. :twisted: john, you would have dug it, Renegade as the show closer was full force. Agree on Felder not getting quite the credit.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 am

Looks like this tour is going to miss my city... sigh... But we do get Roger Waters in October - so that'll be good.