G&L sighting

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm

For those of you who don't know about session guitarist Tim Pierce, check him out. He is a great player, is very generous with his knowledge, and posts a LOT of content on Youtube. Here's a new video about getting rid of bar chords where he features an ASAT Special. Good stuff.

phpBB [video]

Cheers.

----GDub

Re: G&L sighting

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:09 am

Great post Gdub , Tim Pierce is very talented. I discovered him a few months ago and subscribed to his channel. He is a great chord tone player as well. If that doesn't boost Asat Special sales I don't know what will. He had the tone dialed in perfectly to showcase the large MFD's. And I agree with his description of how they sound like a mix of all pick ups. I was not a fan of the fret blocks on an Asat before but they had grown on me by the end of the video. He is right about the fatigue of bar chords you don't miss much by dropping the index finger .

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks, Gdub, for introducing me to Time Pierce. I will be checking out more of his guitar videos.

The technique he described in this video is something I have figured out over the many years of playing, although he is definitely much more sophisticated in use than I am. Over the years I have learned that over a 3-hour gig, if I don't stay properly hydrated, playing all those bar chords will cause my left hand and fingers to cramp up. So I cheat when I can by playing partial chords. My hands are not big, so I have also developed this posture with the left hand so that my wrist is bent and pushed out below past the neck. It certainly helps my reach on the fretboard, but probably stressful on my arm and hand muscles. Unfortunately cheating with partial chords doesn't always work, like when playing the arpeggiated chord sequence for Radiohead's Creep.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm

G&L instruments logically should be seen everywhere. I play out locally and go to these sometime horrid Blues jams and nobody's ever seen the likes of my G&L JB. It's grey metallic frost finish with matching headstock, the dark ebony fingerboard and the strength of the saddle lock bridge coupled with the expert Alnico pick-ups -- it's the sound and playability and the look of this thing. I use Rotosound 77 heavy gauge and this produces a sound to rattle the walls. It's deep, articulate, spooky funky. Finest instrument I've ever owned. It is made to perfection way beyond what comes out of Fender for the most part -- and just about everyone else.

I just wish G&L and all these other brands come out with what I call forest depopulators -- these mid to low price range crap to fulfill the demands of Guitar Center and Sam Ash globalists pockets to create and perpetuate an all amateur market. Jes' sayin'.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am

Just noticed this Reverb video the other day. Rather a brief G&L appearance but it sounds good. Can't tell if it's natural wear or a relic job.

phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 pm

mutts wrote:Just noticed this Reverb video the other day. Rather a brief G&L appearance but it sounds good. Can't tell if it's natural wear or a relic job.

That is an ASAT Classic Bluesboy Rustic. Although no longer shown on the G&L website, here a (still existing) link to the ASAT Classic Rustic. For quite a while, this was the only way to get a nitro finish on your guitar, which certainly has some appeal.

- Jos

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:05 pm

I noticed the name Noam Pikelny on the video. If I remember correctly, he used to post on the old original G&L discussion board around 2 decades ago. If memory serves me right he was a teenager at the time. Or I could be wrong.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Kit wrote:I noticed the name Noam Pikelny on the video. If I remember correctly, he used to post on the old original G&L discussion board around 2 decades ago. If memory serves me right he was a teenager at the time. Or I could be wrong.

I searched the GbL user's database and didn't find a listing for Noam, Pikelny or Noam Pikelny, perhaps he had a different handle back then.
Always cool to see a G&L in action!

:ugeek:

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Just stumbled across this band over the weekend while watching a blizzard outside. I gather they have been around for a few years so this maybe old news but some of you all may enjoy it. On first pass I'm liking their sound and it has G&L content. I googled the guitar player and he is evidently quite fond of the MFDs.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 am

always cool to see some love for G&L

i used to wonder why we didn't see more of them in the hands of pros, but the more i think about it, the more i like that they're more of a niche brand. almost has an underground vibe. very rock and roll

Fri May 06, 2022 6:43 pm

Don't love the tone here bit it's a pretty good song and well played. Strange how all the old links are gone from threads and now to make videos embed the format seems really odd???

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:57 pm

Maybe this band has been posted before. They've bee around awhile but new to me. Seems the singer has had the Fallout for quite some time.

Thu May 04, 2023 6:12 pm

Just came across this guy. Evidently played with Buddy Guy for awhile and now plays with Foghat.

Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:10 pm

looks like an old signature on the bout ASAT