Roger Waters new release

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Any Roger Waters fans round here? Just got his a new release "Is This the Life We Really Want?" and I'm a fan of his solo work as well as Pink Floyd. This is more "Waters" sounding.

If you read the reviews they are very mixed. Everything from "pitiful...This after 25 years??? to "A great comeback..." My take on this collection is somewhere between the two extremes. Much of his political, environmental and God references, but I can still hear bits of his other solo albums to occasional hints of Floyd. The main thing I miss on this release is the guitar. No killer licks like Jeff Beck on Amused to Death, Andy Fairweather Low on Radio KAOS or Gilmour and Floyd.

Bottom line, I do like the album, and listened through it twice tonight while catching up on office work. Waters fans should dig it, while casual fans and Floyd only fans may take a few listens for it to sink in, if at all.

BTW
I just happened to be in Berlin two weeks ago at a meeting and took a picture of this in a plaza.

Also saw a few pieces of the Wall as well. The Berlin Wall that is. :evilgrin: Many of these through out Berlin.

Re: Roger Waters new release

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am

I saw his show at Staples center in LA a couple weeks ago. One of the best shows I have ever seen. The sound was incredible, even though I had nosebleed arena seats. The performance was tight and Kilminster rocked the solos! And the visual effects were outstanding (you can see good examples on youtube).

I like the new album but not totally blown away. It definitely has elements of Animals and Wish You Were Here running though it. I've been a Floyd fan for 40 years now, so its always nice to get new material from any of them. I saw Roger Water for the Pros and Cons and Radio Kaos tours, but this tour is on another level! If you have a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Hey cho,

Sounds we're on the same page with the new stuff, but always glad for anything new.

I saw his 1999 tour which was a great show, except we had this drunken dude next to me who thought he could scream every word to every song. Unfortunately for all in the area he could not sing, did not know the words and security wouldn't do anything. Ah well... will try and catch this tour based on yer recommendation. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm

I am Floyd fan, and loved Radio Kaos and Pros and Cons. I hadn't even heard that a new album was released. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 am

DanDoulogos wrote:I am Floyd fan, and loved Radio Kaos and Pros and Cons. I hadn't even heard that a new album was released. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

"Amused To Death" is worth a listen to/owning, not the same level of concept album as Radio KAOS was but feels closer to a cohesive story than the new album (obviously IMHO).

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

JayPG wrote:"Amused To Death" is worth a listen to/owning, not the same level of concept album as Radio KAOS was but feels closer to a cohesive story than the new album (obviously IMHO).

I'll definitely check it out.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:55 am

Love this album... don't even noticed the lack of guitar stuff... there's something timeless in this album, it will age better than amused to death IMO...