RIP Chris Cornell

Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 am

Another one gone, man this is happening too often.

Always thought he was a talented musician, but never saw live.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/c ... d-aged-52/

Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 am

I wonder if there ever would have been a "grunge" movement without him? Black Hole Sun was iconic - an instant genre-be-damned classic. I wish I had had a chance to see him live.

Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 am

aw man...
(I'm stuck for any other words)

Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 am

I really liked Soundgarden in my younger days. Sad news....

Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am

the Black Hole Sun comments made me think of the video and the best cover in the business.

The video, while a little strange, is one of my all time favorites. For those who never heard Peter Frampton's version of BHS see below. He did an album called Fingerprints of instrumentals that put me in a chair and guitar in hand for a while trying to work on a few tunes. highly recommended.

Here is from Guitar Sessions
phpBB [video]

Here he is with Chris Cornell in 2007
phpBB [video]

Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 am

The voice box on the session was an unexpected treat/throwback. Loved the live show too.

Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Sad day. I still remember the first time I saw the video to 'Jesus Christ Pose' as a kid. The intensity of that track floors me to this day

Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote: The intensity of that track floors me to this day

I second that!!

Fri May 19, 2017 4:01 am

On the upside, the afterlifes's 'Band of 2017' is shaping up to be fantastic - Cornell on vocals, Holdsworth playing guitar...

Wed May 31, 2017 1:44 am

Such a talent, such a shame.

Re: RIP Chris Cornell but also Ken Cordray

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 pm

The loss of Ken Cordray, brilliant Texas Blues and Rock guitarist who co-wrote ZZ Top's hit "Francine" was murdered by his son in a murder/suicide late May. I worked briefly with Cordray in 1972 in Wayne Cochran's band, the CC Riders. Then there's the loss of Larry Coryell earlier this year who was a huge influence on my music. Coryell was master of the comp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grz5uMaCl_0