Showing some love for solid state amps

Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 am

Recently I picked up an Orange Crush Pro 60 combo amp and the PPC112 extension cabinet, and I have to say, it's a pretty sweet amp. I really like the Orange distortion sound and also wanted a back up solid state amp to back up my tube amps. And I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by it so far.

It's an all analog, 2 channel amp with 3 digital reverbs. I've got it set up for mild overdrive and full on distortion. It has plenty of power at 60 watts and with the extension cab it really keeps up with my drummer. I also have a Mesa Boogie Mark V and a Fender Bassbreaker 15, and while the Orange isn't better than either, it's a good amp.

It has it's negatives of course. The reverb kinda stinks and the clean sound is far from the best. But it really got me thinking why companies haven't fleshed out their solid-state offerings in a similar way to their tube options. Fender has a tube amp for any price range with varying degrees of functionality and functions from $400-$1500 or more. But their solid-state option is limited to the Champion series. And most of that is digital and really only has 1 option to play in a band setting.

When you look at the selection for solid state amps, the options are super limited. And I'm excluding digital modeling amps and just talking about a solid state amp that is more comparable to a tube amp in terms of options and functionality.

Imagine being able to purchase something like the Fender Bassbreaker in either tube or solid state form? Or what could Mesa Boogie cook up if they applied their same approach of high quality, multi-functional amps but with solid state technology? I know it's unlikely we'll find out the answers to any of these questions. Guitar players like tube amps for a reason. Their favorite guitar players played them and they generally sound good. But plenty of guitarists are practical and seek reliability and affordability. It would be cool to see companies lean more into what I think is an under served segment.

Re: Showing some love for solid state amps

Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I wonder how big of a market there is for SS, non-modeling amps these days.

It almost seems like most of the people who would be happy playing something other than a tube amp would be just as happy with some modeling even if it is just effects.

Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Digital modeling gets better everyday . I can't see forgoing excellent sounding amp styles for an SS amp without modeling. The new series 2 Fender Mustang amps might have a " stinky reverb and far from best clean sound " setting ready to go.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm

phpBB [video]

Tue May 09, 2017 3:38 am

As im turning 60 this year i accept the fact that im an old school type of guy. Having said that i have heard quiet a few modeling amps over this time and accept that their tone emulating ability is improving. Being an electronics guy though i know that these amps are definitely disposable items. When they die there dead and only whole board replacement by an approved dealer is necessary for their repair, you just cant change discrete components as you can with valve or analogue SS amps.

I have a very nice 1980,s Peavey Encore 65 which is 6l6 tube tone all the way, it cost me $250 and well spent money for sure. However, for $50 dollars i bought a 1994 Peavey teal strip solo series Special 112. This is basically a 160 watt version of the Bandit. The Special has tone adjustments like the Bandit that pretty well can be tweaked to almost any tone desired, and the clean channel is superb, it can give the Encore a run for its money in the tone department, no doubt of that.

So yes, i believe there should be reason for Analogue SS amp love,,specifically old Peavey,, USA made, cheap to buy, extremely well built, cheap to repair though rarely needed, and very acceptable tone both lead and clean. Even if you have a special pedal tone you like just plug it into the front end of a Bandit or the likes and you will be very happy im sure. Lots of Peavey love here :D
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CT9tqogQ5M

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpjvDBsuuk

Last edited by Craig on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin converted to inline videos

Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 am

Teal strip Bandit, pedal front end,,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfufwbadHw

Yep,, Analogue SS amp,, there not to shabby at all to my ears,,, :D
Last edited by Craig on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin converted link to inline video

Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 am

I'm with you on that Geoff!
This '87 Peavey Studio Pro 60 has been with me since 1990. I bought it new/old for $200, replacing an old ailing and heavy Fender Twin Reverb I had at the time. They only made this model for 1 year.
It's 4+ reliable. Sounds good with a digitech multi effects processor out front, or just dry with the reverb.
I use it as a keyboard amp for my synth now. Switched out the original speaker for an Eminence C Rex.

Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 am

Ditto on the Peavey Bandit. That has been a mainstay for a lot of folks over the years. While I'm mainly a tube guy, NAD to follow, I grew up with Peavey Backstage and a 2x10 Studio Chorus which were both fun amps at the time. Current SS in house are a Line 6 15W my son got with a guitar, and a Vox Mini3 G2, 3W that is a cool little amp that doesn't get enough press. The Vox has some modeling built into it as well.

SS modeling amps are getting very close to their tube counterparts, we shall see where it goes. :searching:

Tue May 09, 2017 6:32 am

Hi John and Sam, I really like your studio pro John, there a very hard to find amp these days, quiet collectable indeed..
Yes +4 for reliability. Our amps are 23, 30 and 33 years old now and still going strong. I wonder how many modern amps will have that life span. We really should thank Hartley Peavey for his contribution to valve and more so SS guitar amps. It seems he was one of the first circuit designers that actually looked at the final waveform of an saturated power valve after the speaker transformer whilst driving a speaker and determinedly tried to mirror that waveform using transistor technology of the time. These earlier amps are examples of what was eventually called the transtube series amps. I think the results tone wise are a great reward for his hard work and determination to provide affordable, reliable and great sounding SS amplifiers. Well done Hartley and thank you very much :happy0065:

Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 am

My favorite solid state amp is the Lab L5. I had one in the Netherlands but had to leave it behind when we started working abroad. Great amp with good clean tones and some interesting overdriven sounds. Now I am writing about that amp, I miss it ....

- Jos

Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 am

I've had a few Yamaha G-5's...cool little practice amp with rich cleans.The wood definitely adds
to the tone equation. Jerry Garcia also liked them (note Sam's avatar photo,behind the old Mac).

Gotta give the Roland JC120 some love, I love what Belew did with them. I hear that Jaco even fell in love with the sound
for his Bass. However the distortion setting on those should be superglued 'off'.

I also grew up with Peavey's Bandit. I have come to hate the SS peavey amps. They are 'fake blues' :lolno:

A shout out to Standel SS amps...check out John Cippolina's Rig, of course he had tubes for the top end.

I love my Stewart World 2.1 for bass...it's reallllly clean (and loud!)

have a good day all,
Elwood

Tue May 09, 2017 9:02 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:My favorite solid state amp is the Lab L5. I had one in the Netherlands but had to leave it behind when we started working abroad. Great amp with good clean tones and some interesting overdriven sounds. Now I am writing about that amp, I miss it ....

- Jos

I had a Lab Series L7 (I think that's what it was) for a time. I never found good overdriven sounds but the cleans were very good.

Wed May 10, 2017 6:50 pm

One of my keepers is a old 1980s JC-120. All of my three-pickup G&Ls have sounded great straight into it, especially with some chorus and/or reverb. As a bonus, it is a great clean platform with practically unlimited headroom for using any sort of pedals. To my ears it doesn't mesh well with SC/ASAT large MFDs unless they are running through a pedal or two. YMMV.

As Elwood pointed out, the distortion feature on its own is pretty terrible. I look at it more like adding a hint of square wave to an analog synth: at low levels it smooths out the signal a bit and warms up the tone. If I want distortion, I use a pedal (currently a NoiseKick FX Horsey is my favorite, but that's another topic for another thread).

I do use SS exclusively when I amplify my upright bass. My amp of choice for that, after much experimenting, is a Gallien Kruger MB-150E. I can carry it, the matching G-K extension cab, and my bass at the same time, and the sound is great. I also use it for a practice amp with some of my electrics.

Ken

Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 am

mutts wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:My favorite solid state amp is the Lab L5. I had one in the Netherlands but had to leave it behind when we started working abroad. Great amp with good clean tones and some interesting overdriven sounds. Now I am writing about that amp, I miss it ....

- Jos

I had a Lab Series L7 (I think that's what it was) for a time. I never found good overdriven sounds but the cleans were very good.

I had a Lab 5 in the early 80's. Was famous for the "phase control" in the eq section, and was BB King's go-to "secret" amp. I didn't like it cranked up playing live, though, wasn't bright enough, but for low to medium volume stuff, was a very nice amp.

Sun May 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I remember one of the first SS amps I purchased back in the 1970s was a Yamaha, and frankly I did not much care for the compressed sound of SS. By comparison, the only digital modeling amp that sounds convincing to me is the Fender Mustang series, but I still prefer tube amps. I also notice a difference between the older guitar speakers and newer ones, which sound much harsher to me. The same goes for stereo speakers, I have some old Tannoy and Acoustic Research speakers that are astounding and irreplaceable.

Sun May 28, 2017 3:45 pm

CSVeteran wrote:I remember one of the first SS amps I purchased back in the 1970s was a Yamaha, and frankly I did not much care for the compressed sound of SS. By comparison, the only digital modeling amp that sounds convincing to me is the Fender Mustang series, but I still prefer tube amps. I also notice a difference between the older guitar speakers and newer ones, which sound much harsher to me. The same goes for stereo speakers, I have some old Tannoy and Acoustic Research speakers that are astounding and irreplaceable.

Have you tried the Blackstar ID: Core 100w? It's a digital modeling stereo amp. It's producing almost a 3D stereo effect with delay, reverb and that kind of stuff. Plus it's a 2x10 speaker combo which is my favorite. And doesn't weight much. About 30 lbs.

Wed May 31, 2017 1:55 am

geoff douglas wrote:As im turning 60 this year i accept the fact that im an old school type of guy. Having said that i have heard quiet a few modeling amps over this time and accept that their tone emulating ability is improving. Being an electronics guy though i know that these amps are definitely disposable items. When they die there dead and only whole board replacement by an approved dealer is necessary for their repair, you just cant change discrete components as you can with valve or analogue SS amps.

I have a very nice 1980,s Peavey Encore 65 which is 6l6 tube tone all the way, it cost me $250 and well spent money for sure. However, for $50 dollars i bought a 1994 Peavey teal strip solo series Special 112. This is basically a 160 watt version of the Bandit. The Special has tone adjustments like the Bandit that pretty well can be tweaked to almost any tone desired, and the clean channel is superb, it can give the Encore a run for its money in the tone department, no doubt of that.

So yes, i believe there should be reason for Analogue SS amp love,,specifically old Peavey,, USA made, cheap to buy, extremely well built, cheap to repair though rarely needed, and very acceptable tone both lead and clean. Even if you have a special pedal tone you like just plug it into the front end of a Bandit or the likes and you will be very happy im sure. Lots of Peavey love here :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CT9tqogQ5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpjvDBsuuk

Both Great amps Geoff, Peavy USA worth having.

I have a Peavey Truimph 60 Valve that has mojo and a Peavy Studio Pro 110 that has balls to boot. Happy with both, though the Truimph could use some love! :D

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 am

Boss Katana

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 am

One of the G&L artists I know that swear by SS amps is Chicago Blues Hall of Fame Artist, Big Dog Mercer. He's played Fender silver faces and even Victoria for much of his career, but switched to Quilter a few years ago for the light weight and consistency. http://www.quilterlabs.com/

He is a tone snob and swears by them!