G&L Book by Greg Gagliano & Gabe Dellevigne

Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 am

I was reading one of my issue of VGM and "The Story of the G&L S-500 and noticed a short note at the end about a book being written by the two above mentioned writers, regarding the history of the company and its instruments.
Amazon has one book by George Fullerton, but I did not see another. Does anyone know if the book was ever published.

Jim
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected spelling of Greg's last name

Re: G&L Book by Greg Gagliano & Gabe Dellevigne

Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am

We're all still waiting for that book. According to the authors, it takes a lot of time making sure all data and facts in the book are correct.

- Jos
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

Can't we just settle for those alternative facts?

Here is a picture of Henry Gibson with three thousand Gibson Guitars. And a bunch of space heaters. He was hugely successful and one of my best friends. Really, he built the best space heaters.

Tom

FACTS!, we don't need no stinking facts!
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:We're all still waiting for that book. According to the authors, it takes a lot of time making sure all data and facts in the book are correct.

- Jos

Thanks, one has to wonder, because the article is dated Oct 2014.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 am

A book about G&L would be of some interest to a select group of people. If it was written by someone that was there I think it would be great but if is just gossip, not interested. If there are "experts" about G&L guitars then they would be sharing their knowledge here. The fact that zero real information is available here about these guitars is silly. All this effort to have folks register their guitars but no other data banks.

How about posting some of your knowledge here. I have been hearing about this book for over a decade now. George and Leo started the company and made all the G&L's in less time.

Please "experts" share your knowledge here. We are currently alive and still interested in these guitars. Your participation here would increase the value of the book you are writing. Why these authors don't promote this book by making their expertise and passion for these guitars known is a mystery to me. Oh well.

Face it, the real information in any book about G&L would fit very nicely on this web site. Why G&L is waiting for this book is interesting. They have all the information regarding specific materials, time-lines and log books. This information could already be at our finger tips. G&L has it.

Please G&L give us the info. Just the facts without the conflicts of personality or inside politics. Start with the log books.

Respectfully,

y2kc
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am

Petition for Craig to write a book! *raises hand*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Lol
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: G&L Book by Greg Gaglina & Gabe Dellevigne

Wed May 03, 2017 11:44 am

Y2.
I understand what you are saying and agree that there is a lot of information out there that is not being presented to the owners of these guitars. Also there has been a long absence on this forum by certain individuals that seems somewhat suspicious. I myself have asked several questions that the answers to are out there but get nothing but a deafening silence from those that know. And, like you mention, what's the point of a forum where information is not shared freely.

There is however somewhat of an explanation. The two gentlemen mentioned are, as far as I know, writing a book about G&L. What it contains? Who knows. But, if they have the information and they share it for free on this or any forum, why buy the book? There are also legal issues I am sure. Depending on what they intend to share with the world, it has to be correct. One other interesting thing about all of this and this forum: A very wise man once asked me to go to the homepage and scroll to the bottom. What you see there is a huge legal issue.

Tom

Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 am

I do know Gabe and respect his passion about G&L guitars. He is a sharp man. Why he does not participate here is beyond me. Personally I am not looking for a book about these guitars. There are no mysteries regarding G&L guitars or hidden messages under the necks.
Day to day life at the factory was not unlike any other work place. You had a boss and you were assigned certain tasks. The end result was Leo Fender's last contribution to the musical world.
Now if someone put out a book just filled with just great photos of G&L's and the old factory pictures, I would be up for that. No gossip or workplace politics.

If Gabe & Greg ever do put out a book, I imagine it will be a fantastic. Both of these guy's know guitars. Again, I wish they would share their knowledge here and add value to the upcoming book?

y2kc
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Gabe is busy with Custom builds .... I think whats held up the book is the waiting to verify every tiny piece of evidence anyone ever mentioned or heard of .... they need to publish whats believed and verified to be correct at the time of the publish , sure some things may change in time or as evidence comes up and some tid bits are going to come out here and there but that just leaves room for the revisions volume II edition
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 04, 2017 5:43 pm

I never met Gabe but I've met and picked a little with Greg. I also met Dale Hyatt, the 3rd partner of Leo & George. In fact, when George retired, then Leo died, Dale was the only one of the 3 original owners left (Leo's wife, Phyllis - who I've also met owned George & Leo's shares of the company). I visited Dale twice in his home. He had had a number of recent visits from Gabe and Greg, going over records and verbal history. They were, in fact, gathering first hand research for this book. Dale loved both these guys and treasured their friendship and willingness to give what Dale considered the REAL history of G&L and it's owners. Not rumors and sleeze, just great history. Greg already had the most difinitive research on the early G&L models on his own website. They were just 2 good guys who were following a passion about a brand they love. Greg also had the best article ever in a guitar magazine when he did the 3-part series on the ASAT. I believe it was "Guitar World" but not sure. I have it in my library upstairs with my copies of books on Leo and George.

I took no notes on my visits with Dale or the one time I met George at Buffalo Brothers. I did, however, take lots of pictures. Dale used to call now and then and I always made notes during our conversations - thinking one day I might write a book about him, the "forgotten" partner/founder. But after he told me that Greg & Gabe were working on one, I just stuck the notes in a folder and filed them with my G&L papers, emails, magazine articles, special edition certificates, etc.

If and when a book - any book - appears by Greg & Gabe, I'll be snatching up several copies. Leo, Dale, and George are all gone, now. These guys knew them all and it will be THE book to have if you love G&L's as so many of us do.

Jay Wright
Anderson, SC

Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 am

Jay,

It is good to hear from you. I agree that these two guy's have the passion and brains to write a book. I am just wondering what the hold up is. Again it didn't take this long to actually build and sell all the G&L's that George and Leo produced.
All this talk started when Paul came out with his book about G&L's. Hey at least he put it out. It might not have been up to every ones standards but he did it. He also did it with no writing experience, zero income and without the internet. Now 15 years later we are still hearing about this book from G&G.

If someone produced a book now about G&L guitars it would be of interest to a very small group. In ten more years ,without participation here from these writers here to promote, the small group could disappear. Why these two writers do not write more about these guitars here is a shame. Both of them have much to offer but.

Anyone up for putting putting a hundred pictures of pre-bbe G&L's together in a self published format? One hundred great photo's of clean and beat Leo era G&L's. A pictorial celebration of the beautiful guitars built by George and Leo.

y2kc

Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 am

y2kc wrote:
Anyone up for putting putting a hundred pictures of pre-bbe G&L's together in a self published format? One hundred great photo's of clean and beat Leo era G&L's. A pictorial celebration of the beautiful guitars built by George and Leo.

y2kc

I recall a couple years ago folks here talking about a G&L coffee table book full of big hi-res pics...man that would be cool.
We might have to cajole Jos into taking a month off to take artsy photos of his gems. ( I volunteer to help :angel: )

Elwood
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 5:58 am

Elwood,

That was me who brought up the coffee table book a while back. I was just trying to light a fire under it and see if the book promised so long a go would see the light of day.

I am sure, based on the talents of these two authors , that the completed book will be available very soon. Until then I will start learning how to take good photos of cool G&L's with my new Nikon.

y2kc
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:54 am

y2kc wrote:Until then I will start learning how to take good photos of cool G&L's with my new Nikon.

y2kc

From my limited experience, like most product photography, it is all about lighting. I suspect large, highly diffuse light sources would avoid blown highlights or excessive reflections in the finish.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

You know, ole Griff up near Vancouver BC was and still is a great photographer. I think he now has 20 G&Ls (I think he bought about half of them from me). Most of his are pre-BBE. Most of mine are pre-BBE, too. If I'm not mistaken, the only BBE ones I still have are a 20th Anniversary ASAT (which I've put in the marketplace but never got a bite - minty) and one of the spalted maple Legacys. Both are Limited Editions. But I still have quite a few pics of ones I sold. Lots of my pics were taken outside. Griff always said to take them in natural light on a cloudy day. I got my best pics that way.

Jay

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Hey Gang,
I still come around now and then and I did start this post many moons ago, so I'll ask again, is there a book. I hav'nt heard a word about one.
Jim

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Hey Gang,
I still come around now and then and I did start this post many moons ago, so I'll ask again, is there a book. I hav'nt heard a word about one.
Jim

Nope, not yet.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm

The last time I talked to Gabe he did not say anything about the book. I am not holding my breath.

y2kc

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:58 am

I was in touch with Gabe last year about my G-200 and I asked about the book. His response was that it was still in the works but gave no specific details on a date. Like many have mentioned, he said they were working to verify the facts and the legal stuff.

Tom