Interesting pickups on ebay

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

There are some interesting looking pickups for sale on ebay (I am not affiliated with the listing). They look like some type of prototype bass pickups, but the seller does not provide much info on them. Does anyone have any info about these?

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-amp-L-Guitar-Pickup-PARTS-PLEASE-READ-/252820894987
Last edited by Craig on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ebay links are deemed unsafe - removed clickable link

Re: Interesting pickups on ebay

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

God only knows for sure what they are, but they both appear to be bass pickups, not 6 string guitar pickups.

edg

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 pm

My guess is that someone took the pickup apart and tried fitting different pole peices, botched it and is trying to make some of their lost money back.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:My guess is that someone took the pickup apart and tried fitting different pole peices, botched it and is trying to make some of their lost money back.

Agree with that Jamie! I have no real idea what models would carry these pups. Cannot really match it with any of the slug-pole "single coil" basses in the G&L line-up past and present, neither LB-100, nor JB, nor MJ.

- Jos

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm

The pair on the left look like the coils from a Music Man humbucker. I'm not familiar with any of the post-CLF production, but the size of the pole pieces and the distance between them are about right for a vintage Stingray or Sabre.

I have no idea about the other one. Jos covered the current production, and I can vouch for them not resembling anything used in the Leo era. Not only did all of the Leo-era basses have adjustable pole pieces (including the Schaller PBX used on some '85-'86 SB-1s), but the pole piece size and spacing isn't a match either. If that pickup began life on Fender Avenue, it's been modified beyond recognition.

Ken

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 am

the humbucker resembles a naked dimarzio dp148 ultra jazz bass pickup. I haven't seen one of these without the cover, but it looks about right..

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

The seller said that the pickups were part of a swap meet purchase, which included other G&L pickups. He said these pole pieces looked similar to the G&Ls, so he assumed these were G&Ls, as well. So, there is no solid evidence that these actually are G&L pickups...

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 pm

They could be Lindy Fralins - the face looks an awful lot like their Split-Coil Jazz Pickups...