An All-Star Tribute & Benefit to Jerry Donahue on 4/18/2017

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Dean and I are going.

For details see: An All-Star Tribute & Benefit to Jerry Donahue at Bogies in Westlake Village.

Anyone else planning to attend?

Re: An All-Star Tribute & Benefit to Jerry Donahue on 4/18/2

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey Craig,

You and Dean are at the benefit now, please send report when ya can. Any other GLDP'rs there send report as well.

It must be karma because this showed up on my doorstep today. I'll definitely be hitting the woodshed for these licks!

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm

sam wrote:Hey Craig,

You and Dean are at the benefit now, please send report when ya can. Any other GLDP'rs there send report as well.

It must be karma because this showed up on my doorstep today. I'll definitely be hitting the woodshed for these licks!

Hey! I have that one too! Great book.

Have fun Sam!

- Jos

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 am

The evening was hosted by world-renowned bassist, singer/songwriter Freebo (Bonnie Raitt) and featured four unique and extraordinary guitarists: Albert Lee (Emmylou Harris), Carl Verheyen (Supertramp), and Laurence Juber (Paul McCartney & Wings), John Jorgenson (Hellecasters, Desert Rose Band, Elton John), plus legendary British Invasion musician, manager and producer, Peter Asher.

Here are some of the photos I took of the second half of the show. Dummy me, left my iphone in the car for the first half and then ran out of memory during the final song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". :oops:

For more photos, see: Album: Jerry Donahue Benefit Show.

Dean and I did run into Wayne Richman (aka Thumbs) there and chatted with him a bit.

It was an amazing show and definitely worth the 3 1/2" hour drive down and 3 hour drive back!

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 am

Craig,

Thanks for the review and pics, hopefully it was a full house and the funds raised were plentiful. :thumbup: Glad to hear the show was so good and great you saw Wayne as well. Those G&L players are everywhere. ;) Based on the pictures, looks like you were perched right up front.

Funny thing, I lived in Westlake Village back in the mid 70's when it was still the "country". Was out there two years ago and man it has grown.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

sam wrote:Craig,

Thanks for the review and pics, hopefully it was a full house and the funds raised were plentiful. :thumbup: Glad to hear the show was so good and great you saw Wayne as well. Those G&L players are everywhere. ;) Based on the pictures, looks like you were perched right up front.

Funny thing, I lived in Westlake Village back in the mid 70's when it was still the "country". Was out there two years ago and man it has grown.

Yes, it was a full house inside and the outside patio bar (which had two video monitors of the show). A lot of cool merch was available and much of it sold, with all proceeds going to Jerry's medical fund.
I got a Hellecaster's hat with John Jorgenson's signature on the underside of the bill and a copy of the last CD Jerry produced and played on called "ashgrove Sessions" featuring Jerry & Susan Rey.
When I bought my ticket, I got the last VIP ticket which was available and did get a great seat.

I also added Dean's photos to the Gallery.

Here's wishing and hoping for a Miracle to get Jerry back ...

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Here's a photo of Dean and I (wearing my G&L hat) with Jim Cowan (manager and organizer of the event) holding the Hellecasters hat I bought after the show.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

This poster was on stage (photo by Cynthia Boulanger):

BTW, all donations are going straight into Jerry's account at the Sweet Relief Music Fund to be used exclusively for JD's care.

Guitar auction on December 11, 2019 to benefit Jerry Donahue

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:48 am

Dean recently sent me this link: https://guitar.com/news/jerry-donahue-signed-guitar/

PAUL MCCARTNEY, ROBERT PLANT, DAVID GILMOUR SIGN GUITAR IN AID OF STROKE VICTIM JERRY DONAHUE
The guitar will be auctioned off on 11 December.
BY CILLIAN BREATHNACH -18TH OCTOBER 2019

Image: Gardiner Houlgate

Some of the biggest names in rock have signed a guitar, which will be auctioned to support stroke victim Jerry Donahue’s rehabilitation.

In 2016, Donahue suffered a stroke, almost certainly ending his career as a guitarist. He was known as a skilled session player and as the guitarist of The former Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and Hellecasters. Noted for his unique approach to bending, (Danny Gatton once referred to Jerry Donahue as “The string bending king of the planet”), Donahue was always in demand as a session guitarist.

The guitar has been donated by John Hornby Skewes Ltd. It is Jerry Donahue’s own Vintage Signature V58, built to his own specifications with Trevor Wilkinson and John Horny Skewes Managing Director Dennis Drumm.

Friend of Donahue and Fairport Convention bassist Dave Pegg said about the guitar, “To have so many famous signatures on this guitar is a fantastic achievement. We know that the guitar will raise many thousands of pounds and all the money raised from the auction will go towards Jerry’s rehabilitation in the USA.”

Matt Worley, another friend, notes that they have been “swamped with some of the biggest names in the music business” – so many that the guitar is full, and they’re having to move on to the guitar case.