Larry Coryell RIP

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Sad day for jazz and fusion fans. He was always one I wish I could appreciate more not being a jazz or fusion player. But he was a regular in Guitar Player in the 80's / 90's so I read all about his magic.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... dies-at-73

Re: Larry Coryell RIP

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm

It is a sad day indeed. :cry:

RIP Larry Coryell.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Larry had some roots in in Washington State and spent most of his youth here. It always was mentioned when he would play in this neck of the woods.

Sad day indeed. But thank you for all the joyous moments Larry. Your music will live on.

- Jos

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Had a couple of the albums he did with Gary Burton and the one he did with Herbie Mann.

He used my Fender Twin at a show he did at Syracuse University back in 1971. My "rental fee" was a backstage pass. He played a high-end Hagstrom (I know, that sounds like an oxymoron...) at that show.

He really was one of those people who influenced a lot of other players but never got that much recognition himself.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 am

A legend. RIP

y2kc

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Very sad. When I was a teenager in CT. (seems like an eternity ago) he lived in the same town. I Worked at a local indoor tennis facility where he was a member and I played tennis with his wife fairly often. I played several times with him as well and we became tennis friends. He would play some of the local spots with Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and some of the other great jazz/fusion players of the time, some of whom also lived in the area. He would always put me on the guest list. I think he moved away shortly after I did and I never really saw him again. Some great memories, great music and a wonderful family. Check out the album Young Django where he, Stephan Grappelli (violin), Niels Pedersen (bass) and Phillip Catherine (Guitar) play some of Django Reinhardt and Stephan's co-written songs as well as a couple of the guitarist's compositions. It's amazing but you have to listen on a good stereo because the recording is outstanding with Phillip on one side (left IIRC) and Larry on the other side. There's a lot of playful back-and-forth guitar wizardry between the two. Pure genius all around.

RIP

Tom