Martin Guitar 2 millionth guitar

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Really,

It would seem that Martin has now made 2,000,000 million guitars. And number 2,000,000 is a work of art, and the guitar marking craft.

You can see it here: https://www.martinguitar.com/2millionth?utm_campaign=News+%26+Annoucements&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=39119089&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_wd-gW_zZatxBscc1bhLdt_V_AapO1sg7TNEXZ_nq65syp29EGXM8DQj9BL_fhrObdbEHUb-OWsC3wlnRyZ40INuDcqA&_hsmi=39445079

edg

Re: Martin Guitar 2 millionth guitar

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:15 pm

thanks, edg, that's a cool lookin thing!
they make such great guitars. the craftsmanship is unrivaled, imho. luthier mastery.
my friend tells me the factory tour in nazareth pa is worth it. that's gonna be my new year's resolution...the tour.
the tour, and maybe another G&L :P

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks ed,

Interesting story and guitar. Not one I would really want, and I'm a Martin guy, but too much metal for me. The story about the watch makers and how they came together is interesting.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Looks like something Tim Burton put together, if Tim Burton made guitars! :confused0007:

Not for me but I can certainly appreciate the talent and workmanship that went into it. If I won it, I would sell it and buy a few Taylors and G&Ls and if there was cash left, a Martin EC. ;)

Thanks for the post edg!

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 am

I think it's (maybe) a little too busy?

I like artistry and all, yet this may be encroaching on something like inlay-meets-doodleart level of mastery - like a solo that is technically brilliant, but musically lacking in soul and feel.

If they offered it to give it to me, I would certainly show it off, but it'd be hard to think of it as a guitar, since it presents (to me at least) as a piece of art.

I am not suggesting that that is a bad thing - I'm just thinking out loud about what it is about it that makes me pause.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:14 pm

I think it's pretty ugly. Too much artwork and not a very clean look. Like they say, it's a waste of a good guitar and a good watch.

I think the production version cost almost $150,000.00 including a wearable watch. They will only make 50 guitars. Now the watch I like but can't seem to find out if it can be bought separately.

Tom

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:12 pm

FZTNT wrote:They will only make 50 guitars. Now the watch I like but can't seem to find out if it can be bought separately.

Tom,
Likely not with that faceplate which has the initials of both companies involved around the 6 o'clock marker. Although having said that, RGM offers customization including dials, so you could come close.

- Jos

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:05 am

This random thought may not be entirely on target (but as it was provoked in the wake of the kind of meandering meditations that follow after seeing something like this...) I wondered if we're going to start seeing guitars with non-traditional materials (such as carbon fibre) using real wood for inlays - to give the guitar a more traditional look. In fact, I wonder if I wouldn't like that?